[Gameplay] Robbed of a high score 'cause I'm permadead vs Arcade Winter.

Own

Sooo I'm guessing none of you died vs Winter and then beat him in co-op, eh? :p

upload_2015-6-4_7-32-18.png

I died vs Winter, co-op host finished him off.

I didn't revive at the end of the battle.

"Aw, heck, we'll just continue on to the next floor and get revived."

Nope. Still a ghost. I can't talk to the mayor, can't end the run and the host can't end the run for me. The host sees me as perfectly alive. I wind up having to save and quit.

@Teddy giv highscore pls, or Frosty Friend gets shanked

upload_2015-6-4_7-34-24.png

My theory as to why it didn't work: Ties into my 'Hey I can still hit Winter when he's dead!' bug from a while back. He's still hittable, the game hasn't registered he's truly dead yet, players aren't revived. Or the code just isn't set to revive players at the end of the Winter battle.

Own

... wait a second. Pokesly has 1248900 score. I have 1260300.

How'd that happen? I thought scores were synced? Or does it only report the host's score in co-op?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Man, that massively sucks ;(

What's weird is that you got revived for the host, it seems? Do you recall if you got a room cleared-message after beating Winter?

Actually... looking into the reviving I see that the revive messages are not set to go through cutscenes, which it totally should. What might've happened is that you get revived at the end of the room, but the ping spikes slightly and the message order gets scrambled, throwing you into the tiny tiny cutscene which moves the camera to the player and then getting the revive message, which gets thrown away. I'm almost positive that's the issue here, and I've changed that now.

... wait a second. Pokesly has 1248900 score. I have 1260300.

How'd that happen? I thought scores were synced? Or does it only report the host's score in co-op?

Yeah, I've noticed that too! The clients are supposed to be able to calculate the correct score on their own, but apparently they are having a bit of trouble with that... not sure what's causing it, honestly, and it seemingly happens at random.

If the top team gets desynced scores, it will display the highest of them, which would've been yours in this case.

Due to the metadata I'm sad to say I won't be able to link your scores from my end :<

I could remove both your scores if you want an easier time competing with yourself for a correct leaderboard spot, but that's not exactly optimal either!

Own

I don't think I got a room cleared message, but I can't be 100% sure. I was too weirded out by the fact that I was a ghost to notice anything else. :p

As for the scores, I've a theory on why they desync:

Cards - I can get a card from a room worth 5,000 that my buddies don't get.
Fishing - I can fish up more or less items than my buddies get.

The score difference is 11,400. That's 2 cards and I assume 1,400 worth of additional fishing items, no? :)

I could remove both your scores if you want an easier time competing with yourself for a correct leaderboard spot, but that's not exactly optimal either!

Neither of us have a problem with that, fire away! It won't ban us from the boards if you delete though, right?

Also:

Pokesly: if our highscore got removed wouldnt your 2P highscore be matched with anonymous possibly?
Pokesly: because youre still listed as #2
Pokesly: im only listed as #1

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
As for the scores, I've a theory on why they desync:

Cards - I can get a card from a room worth 5,000 that my buddies don't get.
Fishing - I can fish up more or less items than my buddies get.

The score difference is 11,400. That's 2 cards and I assume 1,400 worth of additional fishing items, no? :)

A good theory, but since the introduction of the leaderboards, I've removed the item and card scores!

Neither of us have a problem with that, fire away! It won't ban us from the boards if you delete though, right?

Also:

No, the ban list is separate. Removing your scores just removes your scores :D

As Pokesly guessed, removing only his score will put you on top together with a different Anonymous. I'll remove both your scores!

Oh, by the way, if the ghastly ghost bug happens again I'm 99 % sure that Pokesly could choose End Run manually instead of talking to the mayor, so keep that in mind if you do a run before the patch!

Own

A good theory, but since the introduction of the leaderboards, I've removed the item and card scores!

Ouch! I hadn't noticed that yet. I wonder how that changes up things for newer places, if at all?

Cards were worth 5k a pop, which is a lot when you're struggling to get past floor 1 or 2. I guess all it really does is slow down town upgrades and sidequest unlocks.

Also, unrelated, but I noticed SoG has a chunk of achievements on Steam earlier. Are those currently unlockable, or are you hammering out the kinks for that? Hopefully when you load up a Story or Arcade mode save, it'll recognize you've already done them if completed. Some games forget that. :)

Edit: Though, I guess it does make scores more consistent. Someone shouldn't have +20,000 score over someone else because they were a little luckier with card drops, I suppose? :p A nice change, then.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Also, unrelated, but I noticed SoG has a chunk of achievements on Steam earlier. Are those currently unlockable, or are you hammering out the kinks for that? Hopefully when you load up a Story or Arcade mode save, it'll recognize you've already done them if completed. Some games forget that. :)

They are live on the Steam API end, but currently unobtainable in the Frontline build! Don't worry, the game will sync the Steam achievements with your in-game achievements :p

Edit: Though, I guess it does make scores more consistent. Someone shouldn't have +20,000 score over someone else because they were a little luckier with card drops, I suppose? :p A nice change, then.

Yeah, we did the change to sync the multiplayer scores, but then thought that it was a bit weird to give free bonus score for being lucky. I mean, luck is a part of the mode, but we don't need to augment that even more by giving bonuses for getting bonuses...