[gameplay]Targeting near a wall

tkld178

Rabby
Obviously this problem will almost never come up in story because there are so few targeting skills and hardly any enemies run away from you. This problem is not really that impacting either, considering only 2 enemies patterns actually make this a problem.

So if you use a targeted skill right beside a wall it will go directly away from the wall no matter what way you face. It might be a awkward starting place if you are not expecting it, but targeting is very fast and forgiving in this game so it makes no impact, unless something you want to hit is right in front of you on the wall.

For those that don't know when you first start targeting the attack marker will appear a bit ahead of where you are facing. So if you are a mage you might get up close attack to stun them then use your targeted skill quickly to deal a lot of damage. When you are right nest to a wall though that doesn't work. That hardly happens though.

The reason why that hardly happens is because most enemies will try to get to you and rarely will you be close enough to a wall for this to happen. In story something like this doesn't really mean much, but in arcade this can have an impact.

The enemies that I am talking about are the guardian and the wisp. 2 enemies that actively try to run away from you and can often wind up in the corner. For a 2-hander this is not really a problem because you probably aren't using titan's throw anyways. For a mage though you will typically run out of energy before you clear out rooms, causing you to chase things and attack until you get energy back. If it's the last thing in the room to kill when you get enough energy to use earth spike you want to use it because it is probably nearly dead and it will probably kill it. If you are up close to it you won't think to target because you normally don't need to, you will miss if you do though. By the time you recover it may already have run away from you taking even more time kill in probably the hardest part of the run concerning time(for a mage at least).

I'm guessing there is a reason that it goes away from the wall in the first place but can we have it so when we start targeting near a wall it goes away from the wall and the way that you are facing(if you aren't facing the wall).

Not a priority fix obviously but something I'd like to see fixed eventually.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Beat you to it bud :/

This change happened in the Festival update I believe, because I remember encountering the issue multiple times during the second Black Ferrets fight. Arcade or no, my favourite way to use my Earth Spike + Meteor mage build is to use it in combination with snap cast, to improve your magic damage after a perfect guard. This tends to stun most enemies for a brief period, so I'd p-guard, drop a silver charge meteor, and while the meteor is landing, pop a quick base charge earth spike. Gets off a crap tonne of damage.

You can also do it the other way around with smaller enemies, with silver charge earth spike to knock them up, so then the base charge meteor hits them as they land back on the ground.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Sometimes double posts are good because my bug fixing endeavor is guided by chaos and fueled by madness!

If I remember correctly, that video prompted me to fix my digital twin's sudden bouts of lethargy, and then I kind of forgot the other part :oops:

Edit: I should probably point out that no bugs get truly lost; Vilya adds them all to a nice little library of despair for me to enjoy! It's my prioritization that's a bit wonky since most non-critical bugs are fixed quite randomly

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I apologise for doubling the size of that library:

upload_2015-12-30_23-22-33.png

Any extra depression this causes was completely unintentional. Pls don't sue me :chicken: