Hard Mode, what seems useless, what's good. (Magic)

Octave

Green Slime
So I play Hard Mode, because elitist yoloswag 420blazeit whatever. I like a challenge. I also have been running a magic build, and after playing around with the spells, many of them feel useless in hard mode, while others seem to be the only way to go.

Bad spells (in no particular order):

Frosty Friend: Dies in about 2-3 hits even level 5+. Resurrecting him is almost impossible, usually just run to the next screen.
Meteor: Takes too long to charge/not ep efficient. Enemies will hit you before you can cast it.
Fireball: Single target, doesn't do enough to fend off hordes of enemies, not efficient ep usage.
Summon Plant: Don't make me laugh. I mean it's a really cool spell, death daisies are cool as hell, but god is it useless.
Wind Slash: Great idea, but the need to charge in hard mode gets you wrecked fast. Doesn't do enough damage per time used to charge and line up shots and amount of ep used. Probably the worst spell unless you enjoy gambling. Would be better if it were more ep efficient.
Chain Lightning: Not ep efficient enough. Gets outclassed heavily by Flamethrower and Ice Spikes.

Useful spells:

Swarm: God is this good. Just need to get it off is the only issue, but this skill is wonderful. The trade off from damage to charge time is perfect. Love it.
Ice Spikes: So much range, high damage, and a slow on top of it. Great for a bit of nukey cc. Not very ep efficient, but it doesn't need to be. This skill's utility/damage justifies the cost. Definitely a supplemental ability.
Ice Nova: No more than 1 point is needed in this skill. Great ass-saving ability. Hits and slows everything around you, with the chance to completely take something out of the fight for a few seconds. Amazing. Every magic build needs 1 point.

Broken:

Cloud Strike: By far the best damaging ability in the game. Free hits on everything, everywhere. Mediocre damage, but you can just kite around with the happiness of Zeus destroying everything you once feared. Almost game-breaking in my opinion. I personally don't use it currently because it makes everything too easy. Nerfkthx.
Flamethrower: Holy shit. Way too powerful. "Oh but it's just a tiny cone in front of you" Yeah so? You can move with it in silver charge, stays out a VERY long time, making it charge ep while you use it, the damage ticks EXTREMELY fast, making the overpowered Swarm look like child's play. This ability melts everything, and causes hitstun on top of it all. If you could run at full speed, it would out-overpower cloudface up there. If you want hard mode to be easy mode, take this and cloud strike. You just won the game.
Earth Spike: WOAH. damage. Lots of it, for no reason. Fast charge time, does knock up if used properly. The small aoe is the only downside. Very ep efficient. One of the top 3 spells in the game. Dat range.

I know the game is still in beta, and I do hope these things are already being looked at, as there is very little variety in viable pure-magic builds in hard mode currently. Sure anything could work, but your build definitely effects the difficulty of the game right now, and this should be rectified.

Feel free to tell me how you think I'm wrong. Other thoughts and opinions are encouraged.

Inzanity

Green Slime
Have you tried flamethrower in the sky forttress or hallow forest? I deem it very unuseable there. Enemies are fast/annoying in hard mode and usually interrupt you before you get it off, unless you chicken run to the other side of the map. Pecko outranges you, it is great for most bosses though. Wouldnt call it broken. Only one broken spell in the game.. TITUN THROW!

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Naah, Titan Throw isn't broken. I can do just as much damage with the Titan Throw as with the Heroic Slam and with Heroic Slam I get to keep my weapon. :D I would say that the most broken skill is Shadow Clone if not the Heroic Slam. Here's my latest score on the Red Giga Slime with only Heroic Slam. If you wanna challange me in a Story mode race with Titan Throw against Shadow Clone feel free. :DSoG GoodStuff Arena Score.png

Inzanity

Green Slime
Heroic Slam is bugged in my rev. The second hit doesnt seem to connect at all when its at level 10. No matter the direction or distance to the enemy it simply doesnt hit. Ive compared all Skills in their raw damamge and Titan Throw outclassed most, if not all. OBviously you lose your weapon and thats the drawback that doesnt make it OP. But Easily one shottet every non hard boss and even some hard mode bosses with crits. Dont think another skill can do that :D Only level 16 here by the way. I wasnt able to exploit any afk farming methods like other veteran users. So if i see people running around at 30+ I dont think its a viable comparison xD

GarlicJelly

That's because the Gold Charge (it's unlocked at level 10) isn't working properly as the Gold and Final Charges aren't "in the game". Don't level any skill above level 9. It's a waste of points as you lose damage on all skills because of this fact. :D

GarlicJelly

Actually, while I'm at it I should show you guys why I love 1h better. Only Blade Flurry on this one. :3SoG GoodStuff Arena Score.png

GarlicJelly

Around 350-360 with damage pet at +26%.
I should mention that this is with damage rings x2, Purple Flower hat-thingy and Stinger (is that the name of it?)

Rocky

Green Slime
Oh,By the way you guys are making an excellent game that has a so much potential to be even more famous than it already is! so please don't give this game up because i really enjoy your game and am happy to share some ideas for weapons that you could add in to the game.