House Achievements?

Own

So, in Suikoden you have this bath area. And if you decorate enough of a certain types of items in your bath, your bath changes. Blood pours from the paintings and the dolls placed have their eyes light up with a creepy glow. Knight statues draw their swords, or genies float out of the lamps.

I was thinking something a little similar might be interesting for houses. Each item is assigned a secret, unlisted value.

For example, a Green Slime Chair might have a value of '+5 Sticky, +1 Furniture, +1 Green'. A Red Slime Chair might have '+5 Sticky, +1 Furniture, +1 Red'.

If you place enough items that meet the 'Sticky' requirement in your house and fill it's hidden bar, your house could occasionally drip slime from the roof or you could unlock the 'Slimy Floor' item by accomplishing the 'Sticky Home' achievement. It could be a unique floor that sounds like and behaves like slime trails when walking over it.

Or you could have a 'Spooky Scary Skeleton In Your Closet' home achievement, fill the house with Pumpkin Woods furniture to fill a 'Creepy' bar which makes harmless ghosts appear and vanish at random in your house, giggling as they do. Maybe this unlocks a special scarecrow item that looks like the enemy, but not alive.

Or, for more complicated homes, a 'Feng Shui' achievement. Get equal values of Red, Blue, Green and Yellow past a certain number in your home at the same time for a house option that makes cherryblossom petals drift down through your home. (Optionally, an item that makes cherryblossom petals fall in your character's footsteps like the butterfly item would be immensely cool. :))

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Fred has been very vocal about wanting a system sort of like the one you describe, although with one or more decoration inspectors that challenge you to decorate the house "well"!

Having identifiers like the ones you describe sounds like a good way of deconstructing things, and having some form of house-modifying effect sounds pretty cool to me.

It's all still in its infancy, however, so we'll see! But it's pretty likely we'll add some in-game feedback for how a player has decorated his/her house, at least

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
This makes me think about Animal Crossing and Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. In Animal Crossing they have a point system that rates your house the more matching furniture you have so for exemple a lot of "modern" items would give you a higher score than just a mix of good looking furniture. However the games does never tell you in detail how you gain more points and the "stats" on furniture are never shown.

The oposite goes for Recettear where the player can look in the menu to see the total score of the shops Dark/Light and Plain/Gaudy "stats". The different atmospheres attract different types of customers and to unlock some characters you need a specific atmosphere to make them visit your shop.

Maybe you could have different people showing up in your house depending on what decoration theme you have in your house and the different people could give you a special item that fit in that theme?

Another fun thing from Animal Crossing could be the hidden snowman quest which rewards the player with a snowman themed furniture, floor or wallpaper for building a good snowman. If I'm not mistaken there has been a discussion about a snowman building quest before.

Own

Heck, I wouldn't mind just having a suitably themed house / reaching the minimum bar requirement 'unlocking' that theme for your house.

Have a house that looks disgustingly cheap and dirty? You get to toggle scurrying rats on / off. Nature themed? Butterfly theme. Spooky? Ghosts. :D