Is it even possible to beat Marino in the festival race?

Rdy

Green Slime
You absolutely can - however, it's nigh impossible on controller. I estimated the requirement at somewhere around 11-13 button presses per second when I beat him.

I made a video to show it off (as well as a keyboard display so you can see how fast I'm pressing Z) and will add it to this post when I have processed and uploaded it.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Oh great... so if it's impossible with a controller, how can't I do it with a keyboard?! I might have to get my mate round to do this, he can spam as quickly as an overclocked spambot

I have gotten very close, but shaving off half a second isn't easy.

Rdy

Green Slime
It's not impossible with a controller, but it's the kind of thing that you'd have to be training for. Tapping faster on a keyboard, especially if you have a mechanical one, is a lot easier. In fact, I'm certain the only reason I can do it with any amount of consistency is that I've played taiko no tatsujin for several years, which requires quick and precise tapping.

YouTube version:

Temporary WebM Upload: https://a.pomf.cat/uwjdlf.webm (7.48 MB)

Veratiel

Green Slime
I did it with a controller, although I had to hold the controller between my palms and mash the A button with my two pointer fingers.