Kickstarter?

+3Chris

Green Slime
Just curious if there is a Kickstarter page for Secrets of Grindea and if not, why? This is one of the few independent games I'm actually looking forward to seeing finished, and I think many people would agree and contribute. At the very least, it would give this wonderful project more exposure. Maybe you already have one, and I just can't find it. If that's the case, link please? :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the encouragement! :D

We don't have a Kickstarter, but we're using Humble Widget pre-orders as a substitute. We thought about doing one, but since Kickstarter still doesn't allow Swedes to start projects without contacts in the US/UK it didn't happen.

We were then contacted by the guys from Humble Bundle asking if we were interested in using their widget, and decided to do it like Prison Architect and Starbound (a pre-order site with a Kickstarter-esque feeling).

A Kickstarter might've given some extra publicity, but this way we get to sell the game continuously throughout development!

Own

A Kickstarter might've given some extra publicity, but this way we get to sell the game continuously throughout development!

Actually, there's nothing in the Kickstarter TOS that says you can't continue to sell the game / tiers post-Kickstarter via your website. Of course, Kickstarter has a ridiculous number of fees, so sticking with Humble is best.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Actually, there's nothing in the Kickstarter TOS that says you can't continue to sell the game / tiers post-Kickstarter via your website. Of course, Kickstarter has a ridiculous number of fees, so sticking with Humble is best.

Yeah, good point, a lot of KS projects do that! This might arguably be the best way to optimize exposure, but as you say there are other downsides with Kickstarter. As long as we sell enough to survive and get good feedback, I'm pretty happy with going Humble :)