Linux try?

ark626

Do you guys mind it if i try to start the drm free version which comes tomorrow on ubuntu via some things like wine, winetricks mono etc?
Just to check if it is startable on ubuntu or if its like in terraria :D

ark626

thx :D But ill have to wait till tomorrow because of the non drm i dont think steam has listed sog for linux :D
If i get it running i will post a manual how i have done it here ;)

miR

Green Slime
This game runs fine in Linux using Wine.

Not to revive an ancient thread but I was curious if the game worked under Linux and found this, but no response indicating if it worked. So I installed it and got it working with Wine 1.7.22. Had to use a 32bit prefix and install .NET 4.0 but it ran (the demo, anyways) like a champ - I finished the entire demo without any issues.

miR

ark626

Yeah for me it wasnt running because of sth. but you could post some sort of tutorial for the gamers which want to use linux ;)

miR

Green Slime
I've created a PlayOnLinux install script that will install the 0.56g demo.

Save this code to a .POL extension and then use PlayOnLinux and select Tools -> Run a local script and specify your newly created POL file.

It will install SoG into it's own prefix and automatically install the three required dependencies (.NET 4.0, DirectX10, and MS core fonts).

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Date : August 16, 2014
# Last revision : August 16, 2014
# Wine version used : 1.7.22
# Author : miR
# Distribution used to test: Ubuntu 14.04 64
# SoG version tested: Demo 0.56g

[ "$PLAYONLINUX" = "" ] && exit 0
source "$PLAYONLINUX/lib/sources"
TITLE="Secrets of Grindea"
POL_System_SetArch "x86"
PREFIX="secretsofgrindea"
WINEVERSION="1.7.22"

# Initialization

POL_SetupWindow_Init
POL_Debug_Init

#Create prefix
POL_SetupWindow_presentation "$TITLE" "Pixel Ferrets" "http://www.secretsofgrindea.com" "miR" "$PREFIX"
POL_Wine_SelectPrefix "$PREFIX"
POL_Wine_PrefixCreate "$WINEVERSION"

# Dependencies
POL_Call POL_Install_dotnet40
POL_Call POL_Install_d3dx10
POL_Call POL_Install_corefonts
POL_SetupWindow_InstallMethod "LOCAL"
if [ "$INSTALL_METHOD" = "LOCAL" ]
then
    POL_SetupWindow_browse "Please select the Secrets of Grindea installer that you have downloaded." "Secrets of Grindea installation"
    cd "$POL_System_TmpDir"
    POL_Wine_WaitBefore "$TITLE"
    POL_Wine start /unix "$APP_ANSWER"
    POL_SetupWindow_wait "Installation in progress." "$TITLE installation"
    POL_Wine_WaitExit "$TITLE"
fi
POL_Shortcut "Secrets Of Grindea.exe" "$TITLE"
POL_SetupWindow_Close
exit 0

Tchey

Green Slime
Hello,

I know this is from august 2014, but it's still good. I've managed to run the demo 0.600 with this script. I wonder if i buy the game on Steam, will i be able to run it ? If i buy the game on Humble Store, will i be able to play the beta version ? The Steam version has DRM, or Steam is only used to update the game ? I prefer Hmble Store DRM free, but i have about 15€ in my Steam Wallet i could spend for Grindea.

Thanks

Linux Mint 17.2 64 bits Xfce
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3,3 GHz)
MSI GeForce GTX 960 @ 2 Go
8 Go DIMM DDR3 PC12800
LCD 1920x1080
French system, AZERTY keyboard

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I wonder if i buy the game on Steam, will i be able to run it ?

The DRM-free version is sadly only available through Humble Bundle :(

Regarding updates, the DRM-free version is only updated with the Stable version of the game, which usually takes some time!

Tchey

Green Slime
Thanks for your reply.

I bought it from Humble Store, and i managed to install in with the above script. The game runs perfectly well, only i can't go fullscreen or there is a weird thing with my screen. All windows are bigger, and stuck, and i can't only reboot. However in windowed and zoom x3 it's great.

Amazing game !

atolisglli

Green Slime
Hiya

Just wondering. Is there any plan, for a native linux version?

I'd like to know that as well. I'm pretty sure having native support for linux will lead to more people playing Secrets of Grindea, especially with SteamOS on the move.

Would be nice to play it, I haven't managed to get it to run with wine/playonlinux yet. :(

Khalismur

Green Slime
I believe there is ongoing experimentation done by Ethan Lee with FNA porting.
I played the very first builds under Windows back in 2014 but since then I've moved to 100% Linux and would really love to see a native build.

Go go go FNA & forget wine!!! This is the kind of game which would sell quite well since there's barely any native JRPGs for Linux.