Long cooldown "ultimate" spells and abilities

Does this sound like something you'd want in the game?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dasky14

Green Slime
I have a rather interesting issue right now. I feel like I don't have enough choices to put my points into.

But before you think I just want more spells, I want to explain this problem. These are my spells:
Single target: Meteor
Multi-target: Chain lightning
Summons: Cloud
Utility: Shield and Haste

And now, I got another skill point. What do I put it into? By level 21, even without possible skill points from quests, all of my abilities are maxed to the point that normal skill points aren't useful anymore. I found this to be very disappointing, since I can't think of any reason why I'd want to have several spells that do essentially the same thing. Utility spells would be a good idea, but then I'd also have so many utility spells that by the time I'm done casting, half of them have worn off and I don't have any EP left to cast.

So, finally, here's my idea:
Long cooldown abilities (3-10 minutes, depending on spell power and utility), that have significantly stronger effects than anything you can normally get.

While a few skills could be simply extremely high damage, I'd want these to have a more interesting interaction. Here are some ideas:
  • Elemental auras: They last for a duration, maybe 30 seconds, and do various things in a large area around the player. For example: Fire for high damage, lightning for stun chance, ice for slow/freeze and earth possibly for a damage debuff.
  • Mass paralysis: Maybe a 10 minute cooldown that will paralyze every enemy in a large area around the player. Damage should remove this paralyze.
  • Utility aura variations: Haste aura, shield aura, damage aura... These could all be very powerful cooldowns for co-op play, and should have a long cooldown to balance it better.
  • Stronger summons: A short or long cooldown summon that would be significantly more powerful than the current ones we have, but it would only last for a limited amount of time. (Anything from 10 seconds to a minute, depending on power.)
  • Nukes: These are the simplest idea. Extremely high burst damage skills that you couldn't really use to clear every room, but to occasionally help with a particularly tough enemy.
EDIT: I forgot about melee. These could be all kinds of large AoE attacks, stuns, or maybe even multi-attack spells with high damage. I can't provide as many ideas since I don't play much melee at all.

There are a few limitations there should be for these though. For example, I think some of them could be charge-only, as in you couldn't quick cast them at all, and had to charge for maybe half a second before you could cast them. Exceptions to this could be "panic buttons" like haste/shield aura, or mass paralysis.

In my opinion, this would solve the issue of too many spells for a single purpose. I wouldn't want a second single-target spell to constantly cast, but instead I could pick up a more powerful spell that I could use in more difficult fights that my normal kit isn't enough for, which I could only use once per boss fight for example.

Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited:

L4UR

Green Slime
I have a rather interesting issue right now. I feel like I don't have enough choices to put my points into.

But before you think I just want more spells, I want to explain this problem. These are my spells:
Single target: Meteor
Multi-target: Chain lightning
Summons: Cloud
Utility: Shield and Haste

And now, I got another skill point. What do I put it into? By level 21, even without possible skill points from quests, all of my abilities are maxed to the point that normal skill points aren't useful anymore. I found this to be very disappointing, since I can't think of any reason why I'd want to have several spells that do essentially the same thing. Utility spells would be a good idea, but then I'd also have so many utility spells that by the time I'm done casting, half of them have worn off and I don't have any EP left to cast.

So, finally, here's my idea:
Long cooldown abilities (3-10 minutes, depending on spell power and utility), that have significantly stronger effects than anything you can normally get.

While a few skills could be simply extremely high damage, I'd want these to have a more interesting interaction. Here are some ideas:
  • Elemental auras: They last for a duration, maybe 30 seconds, and do various things in a large area around the player. For example: Fire for high damage, lightning for stun chance, ice for slow/freeze and earth possibly for a damage debuff.
  • Mass paralysis: Maybe a 10 minute cooldown that will paralyze every enemy in a large area around the player. Damage should remove this paralyze.
  • Utility aura variations: Haste aura, shield aura, damage aura... These could all be very powerful cooldowns for co-op play, and should have a long cooldown to balance it better.
  • Stronger summons: A short or long cooldown summon that would be significantly more powerful than the current ones we have, but it would only last for a limited amount of time. (Anything from 10 seconds to a minute, depending on power.)
  • Nukes: These are the simplest idea. Extremely high burst damage skills that you couldn't really use to clear every room, but to occasionally help with a particularly tough enemy.
EDIT: I forgot about melee. These could be all kinds of large AoE attacks, stuns, or maybe even multi-attack spells with high damage. I can't provide as many ideas since I don't play much melee at all.

There are a few limitations there should be for these though. For example, I think some of them could be charge-only, as in you couldn't quick cast them at all, and had to charge for maybe half a second before you could cast them. Exceptions to this could be "panic buttons" like haste/shield aura, or mass paralysis.

In my opinion, this would solve the issue of too many spells for a single purpose. I wouldn't want a second single-target spell to constantly cast, but instead I could pick up a more powerful spell that I could use in more difficult fights that my normal kit isn't enough for, which I could only use once per boss fight for example.

Thank you for reading. :)

Your idea is simillar to mine, i call them G-Moves (G stands for grindea), inspired by the Z-moves in pokemon sun and moon. But that is not my point, it is that i already have the ideas for all the moves, but i try to make a mini animation of how i view it being realised, because some of my ideas that come into my head arent so cool in text form, but in picture it looks way more cool. I will probably link here my idea about it, because it is true that at mount bloom+ u generally tend to use very few spells, and just heavily rely on ur gold level because the other ones just dont do enough damage or are not as vital for survival for higher tier mobs like Echo of Madness, so usually i end up using 1 or max 2 offensive spells and rest are just utillity spells like reaper's blade or the "bubble" or focus for mages usually. nice post :)