My hand speed could not fully exert the ASPD

Crazyfighter

Green Slime
This is a suggestion about the one hand.The ASPD is very important when use the one hand weapon.But if the aspd exceed 180%,my hand speed could not faster.No matter 200% or 300%,the effect is the same. So i suggest that press down the attack key can aut0 use the fastest apsd to attack.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
That's a pretty interesting thing. I've never thought about what would happen when you reach a number that's so high that you can't use it. What I would like to see is that once you reach a certain ASPD number like 200% the spamming to attack changes so you do two attacks per key press OR that when you reach something around 200% ASPD you would change to the HOLD KEY to attack. It would work like a "hidden feature". Because I'm all about them secret things. XD

Own

Being able to hold down the attack button seems like it would take away from a lot of the precision in SoG. People would just stand next to bosses or enemies and effortlessly burst them down.

Couldn't you impliment a macro to press your attack button 5-10 times per time you physically pressed it while playing SoG, if you really needed to?

GarlicJelly

Being able to hold down the attack button seems like it would take away from a lot of the precision in SoG. People would just stand next to bosses or enemies and effortlessly burst them down.

Couldn't you impliment a macro to press your attack button 5-10 times per time you physically pressed it while playing SoG, if you really needed to?
Wouldn't that be the same as just holding down the attack button? XD

Own

Yep, but it's not actively supported by the game. If people wanna play with macros, that's on them. :p

Having to actually press the attack key gives some small amount of weight to your actions, holding it down seems like it would cheapen combat considerably when SoG has a fantastic balance between knowing when to attack, defend and retreat/reposition.

Sekibanki

Green Slime
I've never really tried an ASPD build, but I agree that above a certain speed it would be a nice touch to switch to holding the button to attack to keep increasing ASPD from becoming useless.

GarlicJelly

Yep, but it's not actively supported by the game. If people wanna play with macros, that's on them. :p

Having to actually press the attack key gives some small amount of weight to your actions, holding it down seems like it would cheapen combat considerably when SoG has a fantastic balance between knowing when to attack, defend and retreat/reposition.
Well, if the devs don't want people to hold down the key to attack they won't add it in. I mean the only reason we're having this discussion is because they probably didn't think too much about how attackspeed would scale into lategame. As I see it there are 3 different scenarios here.
1. They leave everything as it is and let people decide how much attackspeed they feel that they can use/need.
2. They put a cap/balance the attackspeed gain so that you can't reach numbers that are physically impossible to use so that players don't waste energy/time on leveling up their pets.
3. You create the Hold Down Key to attack option so that everyone can use the full potential of an attackspeed build.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I'm in full agreement with Own regarding the feeling of each button press having weight. As the combat system is set up I think it makes more sense to have "fire at press" rather than "continuous fire".

A compromise could be that you can hold the button to continue swinging the sword, but that this method will not animation cancel, leading to a situation where you can hold the button to chain attacks decently, or time your presses for optimal efficiency. Not sure if this solution makes much sense, though, since if you're going for an ASPD build you're probably not doing it to be lazy! It might be a good thing for players of certain disabilities that find mashing tiresome, though.

Own

Gamers with disabilities tend to already have specialized macros in programs that help them do certain things in games, if I remember correctly. I know of one who uses one to rapidly trigger the attack button for the specific swords in Terraria that don't allow for hold-and-autoswing.