No Real Penalty for Dying

Super Soup

Green Slime
There doesn't seem to be much in this game that makes dying bad. Really, a player could enter a new screen with half their health missing and kill themselves just to have it restored. I think it would be cool if dying at least made the player lose a bit of progress or something. I know some people prefer to play the game more casually, so maybe this could only be for hard mode or something?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Losing some exp could be a thing in both Normal and Hard difficulty IMO. Losing money wouldn't be that bad either but I think the devs have something like that in mind already. (If Garglius is correct ofc. :p )

Endasil

Rabby
Losing xp on death is really annoying and i like that this is something that has become less used in games nowadays. My vote goes for setting the player back a bit so it has to run back to where it came from.

Donald

Rabby
I think hardcore mode where death=game over would explode the replay value of the game.

Higher drop rates, meh. Not much higher I hope. There is always the Memory Room.

I would like some unique arcade perks to be attainable from certain progression points in hardcore mode :)

Endasil

Rabby
Well some people enjoy having a mode where you die permanently, i see nothing wrong with adding the option of having such an option.

Side thought: If penalties became real in certain modes should there be ways to offset them? For example, a bank where you can stow coins (in case you die) or a trainer where you can purchase back your lost XP by training. And for hardcore mode, would having lmited continues be an acceptable alternative to once-and-you're-gone? I was inspired by old school arcade games where you get say, 2 continues and then you're toast. It helps guard against stupid mistakes but you still have high stakes for perfection.

Yuuki

Boar
hard core mode could be more along the lines of having the posibility to either buy or craft an items that receives you.
the buy one one could scale by use or by current level

for exanple
1 st time 100 gold
2nd time 200 gold
3rd time 300 gold
4th time 600 gold
5th time 1200 gold
6th time 2400 gold
etc