Party Builds?

Jonsquatch

Green Slime
So now that Steam Networking is live (and I'm thusly pulling the arms of everyone I know to buy the game so I can finally try out multiplayer) I've been curious about how people approach character building in a party environment. I've barely ever used the buff spells, for example (usually I'd rather stick most of my points into a decent attack spell like Fireball) but if I were playing with someone else I could totally see becoming a cleric/bard type character while they focused on offense. Or even pooling my resources on heavy armor and a defensive talents and going tank. Who knows?

I'm not the best at doing builds if I'm being honest, but it's fun to think of the possibilities.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Building Tank is probably stupid. There is no need to take damage and as a melee character you will have most of the enemies attention anyways so I don't see a point. Build attackspeed and 2H if you wanna "tank". Attackspeed and the long range on 2H weapons lets you control large groups of enemies fairly easy. For a 2 player session I would have one player focus on single target and one player on multiple targets (AOE). Shadow Clone for me and Spin2Win 2H for the other guy. That's what I would do. :3

Last edited:

Own

Building Tank is probably stupid.

Not necessarily true, tanking isn't just about taking HP damage. A high-DEF character is immensely useful in certain areas with their shield. You need someone who can block the spin attack of Gigaslime, someone who can draw a Pecko's pecks, crowd control the sentry fight or stand in the front and absorb the brunt of Phaseman's barrage.

Unfortunately there's no Aggro skill to draw enemies towards you, so... eh. Tanking will probably be a lot more useful if they ever add a harder difficulty option, or a Hardcore/Permadeath one.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Not necessarily true, tanking isn't just about taking HP damage. A high-DEF character is immensely useful in certain areas with their shield. You need someone who can block the spin attack of Gigaslime, someone who can draw a Pecko's pecks, crowd control the sentry fight or stand in the front and absorb the brunt of Phaseman's barrage.

Unfortunately there's no Aggro skill to draw enemies towards you, so... eh. Tanking will probably be a lot more useful if they ever add a harder difficulty option, or a Hardcore/Permadeath one.
Focusing on DEF as a main stat could prove to be useful but it also sounds super boring to play. There are not many occasions right now where you need to use the shield and in the places where you do need one I would say that it's better to master Perfect Blocking rather than maxing out in DEF. Since I lack experience with multiplayer I can't tell you 100% that just having one player Perfect Blocking attacks in a 4 player session would work because of the damage difference between 1 player and 4 players. If 1 player isn't enough to block the attacks then maybe having 2 players alternating with blocking the attacks could work.