Pixelation Slider?

Unprdctbl

Green Slime
I just remembered a suggestion I thought about a while back. In terms of Portraits and text, could there be an option for a pixilation slider? That way you can Adjust how pixelated you want portraits and text to come out. If it's possible I think it would be a great option to throw in.

magnusi

Green Slime
That would require general change in the game and use of vector graphics. Also in the way you want it, antialiasing would surely take place and pixelart generated with program and when it is antialiased is a terrible thing to look at. The way the game was designed it is not possible.

Last edited:

Unprdctbl

Green Slime
That would require general change in the game and use of voxel graphics. Also in the way you want it, antialiasing would surely take place and pixelart generated with program and when it is antialiased is a terrible thing to look at. The way the game was designed it is not possible
Oh I just meant for Character portraits and maybe text boxes. I remeber it wasn't long ago that portraits were unpixelated, and it looks like they're still being drawn normally, then pixalated. Or would that still cause issues with the games programing?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The game is rendered in a resolution of 640 x 360, and then scaled to different zoom levels / stretched to fit the screen!

The "pixelation" effect you talk about is actually a necessity to make the portraits fit on the screen at all. Vilya basically draws them in super hi-res first, then downscale them to their in-game size (about 100 x 100). When the portrait is in its final size, she'll touch it up a bit and then they're put into the game.

With zoom levels above 1x it would theoretically be possible to have separate versions of the portrait that are more hi-res (by rendering them after the current final pass), but it would be pretty cumbersome to add and maintain, and a lot of people find it quite jarring when hi-res art is displayed next to low-res art as it exposes the pixels!

Which portraits do you mean weren't pixelated before? They've always received the same treatment in terms of scaling, but Vilya has changed the style a couple of times!

Unprdctbl

Green Slime
The game is rendered in a resolution of 640 x 360, and then scaled to different zoom levels / stretched to fit the screen!

The "pixelation" effect you talk about is actually a necessity to make the portraits fit on the screen at all. Vilya basically draws them in super hi-res first, then downscale them to their in-game size (about 100 x 100). When the portrait is in its final size, she'll touch it up a bit and then they're put into the game.

With zoom levels above 1x it would theoretically be possible to have separate versions of the portrait that are more hi-res (by rendering them after the current final pass), but it would be pretty cumbersome to add and maintain, and a lot of people find it quite jarring when hi-res art is displayed next to low-res art as it exposes the pixels!

Which portraits do you mean weren't pixelated before? They've always received the same treatment in terms of scaling, but Vilya has changed the style a couple of times!
Aaaah now I see. I thought you guys would place in hi-res character portraits then add a pixelated filter to them! I just thought such was the case because of a dev blog update a while back were you asked the community if the portraits should be More pixelated or more high-res and remember you guys settling for in between. I just thought it would be interesting to have an option to view the portraits in full glory after ya'll work so hard on them!

Last edited: