Power Plant OP?

Nakres

Green Slime
I just finished the storyline on hard this time (except for the Power Plant I had to switch to normal).
All the other bosses took me 1-2 attempts except Winter where I wiped 3 times.
My stats with defense potion + Brawler talent proc.
grindea stats.png
Talents.
-General
Tenacious 5/5 (10% HP)
Quick Reflexes 3/3
-Melee
Strength 5/5 (10% ATK)
Brawler 5/5 (25% DEF/3sec on hit)
Fencer 5/5 (+10 ASPD)
Backhander 3/3
Gear.
Fall's Edge (70ATK 15ASPD)
Gift Box Shield (350 S. HP)
Armor of Autumn (14DEF 10ASPD)
Autumn Helmet (20DEF 15ASPD)
Health Amulet 2x (75 HP)
Summer Greaves (16DEF 60HP)
And last but not least.. my pet which gives me 12% HP.

After failing 4times I just gave up, how many attempts did it take for you guys?

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
2 or 3, after learning that just spamming gold charge Blade Flurry at it and catching the mushrooms in that gives you enough HP to survive the poison.

Nakres

Green Slime
It's way too much rng tho, in one of my attempts I don't remember getting more then 1 health orb while the boss was at 20-30%.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The lower health you have, the greater chance they have of spawning. I was constantly at about 20-30% for most of the fight. If you stay in the middle and kill the mushrooms there, you're guaranteed not to miss any health orbs behind flowers. The quicker you kill it the quicker you get a temporary break as the poison goes away as well, as it does it's %HP based laser attack. Once it's at it's lowest growth state you can't do damage to it, at which point I go hunt any stray mushrooms around the sides.

Nakres

Green Slime
Yeh I figured most of those, still couldn't manage it.
I'll try another character on hard maybe this time i'll get him/her.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
If you don't have the Halloweed card and/or don't get lucky, G-Meister's facetank strat might not work. A more consistent approach is to pay careful attention to the poison flowers so they don't all get to bloom at once. The fight is beatable with virtually any build if you manage to suppress the poison! You can use the spinsects to your advantage since they reset the small flowers completely. Depending on your build, it might not be worth killing the small flowers outright, but just whack them a few times so they get small and then move on.

Also, a defense potion is quite ineffective in this fight as poison ignores DEF. A speed pot or energy pot is probably better!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I found it was too slow to go around and minimise the flowers. By the time I had got to the fourth, the main flower was already big again, therefore protecting the smaller ones. It simply became ineffective to keep juggling them, and just tanking the damage quickly became the most effective approach. :p

I really wish that wasn't the case. Is there any way to make it so I don't have to do that?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Unless the flowers are spaced miraculously (at which point killing a couple off would probably be wise), I can't fathom how you didn't have the time to smack the Power Flower while moving between smaller flowers to keep it from blooming.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Well, I might've made the fight sound a bit extra trivial there, as the final stage of the fight do spawn a considerable amount of flowers, but if you use Spinsects and heal up on mushrooms it should be manageable! One thing to keep in mind is that the big flower shrinks from actual damage taken, so Spinsects aren't as good at neutralizing it.

I think this fight emphasizes decision making and improvisation more than other fights (unless you can power through it with an absolutely optimal build), and that might make it difficult for people running hyper defensive builds and thus used to more leeway.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I never actually took a good look at the AI of the smaller flowers, and how many hits your needed to make on them for them to minimise. I do remember there was some on one side of the room, some on the other, and Blade Flurry ironically became too slow to take them all out. I think they respawned too quickly for it to be viable.

Maybe I was just being lazy, and decided to use my prior 100% completion to my advantage. If I take a closer look at those flowers maybe I might come up with a different approach. Anyway, I'm still yet to test if Plants vs. Plants is an effective strategy. Loads of Bronze charge spiky vine whips might be surprisingly good at doing the same job.

Regarding the high DEF strategy, this fight is gonna give my Arcade build the gigantic kick up the arse it needed, unless the fight is modified before it goes in there.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, I think we'll have to change it up quite a bit for Arcade Mode :D

How much depends on the efficiency of a certain item
(it's a gas mask which increases the time you can spend in poison before taking damage)
that will be added in the next patch, which can't be accessed before the fight in the main story, but I think it would be interesting to add it to Arcade Mode in a similar way as the Frostling Boots - purchasable for a considerable sum from any merchants of the two floors before.

Plant vs. Plant sounds like an interesting strategy for that fight!

EDIT: I'm talking about the Frostling Boots in the context of the Hydra Fight! You can buy them (or find them, of course) on the Seasonne-floors

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You've seen my article on how OP plant summon is. They give me enough time to set it up anyway... although they might not do any damage to it when it's in its lowest growth state (when it puts up the shield animation). If so... should that change? I mean the skill is OP with that flower whip and all, but it seems a bit harsh to completely negate its effect just because they're wrecking it too much.

On the contrary, these plants rely on one or two hits to keep them small, but have a lot of health... doesn't damage over time become the best option then? Putting one whip down and letting it smack it keeps it small so it can't attack. Again, the skill becomes severely divided. Hm. :/

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I would imagine the best strategy would be to use the flower whips to keep some of the smaller flowers under constant pressure, and perhaps having a higher DPS skill as secondary (or main) skill that you use on the large flower.

Since the large flower shrinks from damage taken, not breaking power, you could probably even use the plants on that one if you let it grow a bit before summoning them. I imagine it would be a waste of energy compared to having them next to smaller plants, though...

(this is all pure theorycrafting for now)

One danger with the plant build is that the spinsects might run into one and suddenly go on a murderous rampage when you aren't ready, so you might want to kill them off quickly with this build... :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I might've chosen bad wording for that. I was thinking more of burst damage, which summoning Boss Plant and 6-7 silver plants probably doesn't qualify as :D

I wonder if it's still possible to use that deathball vs. the boss... it might be if you reposition the Boss Plant every now and then to murder a new set of flowers? Other bosses don't allow the deathball to be summoned beforehand, but you can do that vs. Power Flower!

Another interesting thing about that video is that the plants doesn't make the Spinsect dash away? That's pretty weird! Has it been reported?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The reason that doesn't happen is because they're not intended to do anything with attack animations (like interrupting them, as they'd become vastly more OP). You've essentially stabbed yourself in the back with that mechanic here, as they don't affect the Spinsects for the exact same reason :p

[Edit]: And yes I almost know your game better than you do :cool:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Also, I'm not sure that repositioning the plants causes them to change target. They seem to lock onto anything at random if it's within range, and hop between enemies at seemingly random intervals.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The "on-hit" code is run separately from whether or not they get stunlocked by something (which is why the Larvacids get angry when hit by plants), so it's not that. I've apparently explicitly added an exception so non-stunning attacks doesn't trigger the Spinsect's super bounce... but why, past-Teddy? Why?!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I would laugh, but I've decided to start making a game as well, and I know only too well I'm going to end up in that same position more than once... :(