Revisiting potions?

Own

Potions seem like they were designed when the only thing in the game was Pumpkin Woods. 150 gold for a temporary +20 DEF, +20% DMG, etc at the very start of the game is pricy, but as soon as you beat Flying Fortress 150 gold is chump change. It can easily get to a point where you can have potions active forever if you want to, with no real cost. Given their cheap cost and your ability to buy hundreds at a time, it also makes the talent that gives potion duration a little useless. Even in Arcade I've never seen anyone use it.

It seems like there's a few ways to improve, or at least change, potions for better or worse.

- Make cost scale with character level, or with story advancement. Makes no sense.

- Have them require ingredients from enemy drops along with gold for brewing them, like 2 rabbit fur + 1 pumpkin meat for an ATK potion. This is potentially tedious and unfun.

- Introduce more expensive, more potent potions over time. 1,500 gold for +40% DMG / +40 DEF. 15,000 gold for +60% DMG / +60 DEF. Seems a little ridiculous, but a gold fire pit. :p Not a fan of it.

- Do away with the notion of being able to buy infinite numbers of potions, making the +Duration talent vaguely worthwhile. Magical liquids are unable and need specific bottles to contain each one. Bottles that can contain them are extremely rare, but can be upgraded to contain each one. So you could get a Defense and Spirit Potion Bottle from Remedi and upgrade them individually to contain 2 uses of those potions. More gold for 3 uses, more for 4, etc. You can refill for cheap by revisiting Remedi, but limiting the number of potions makes the talent worthwhile and prevents infinite potion grinding. Dunno about this one. A goldsink?

- Similar to the previous one, no more buying infinite potions. Potion bottles are extremely rare things, special glass is used to make them. You get (1-3?) for free for visiting Remedi. You acquire more from chests, side-quests, NPCs, etc. Filling up a bottle with a potion removes an empty bottle from your inventory, using a potion removes it and adds an empty bottle back to your inventory. Revisit Remedi whenever you want to refill them with your choice of potion. I really like this option, it makes bottles valuable similar to Zelda. :) Plus it's a new reward to give out, one that doesn't require new art. I'd always be happy to get +1 maximum potion.

Plus as it is, few people buy potions because they don't really pay attention to them. But if they have an inactive item (empty bottle), suddenly there's reason to make it active and make use of it as a resource. I think so, anyway.

CatBug

Rabby
- Have them require ingredients from enemy drops along with gold for brewing them, like 2 rabbit fur + 1 pumpkin meat for an ATK potion. This is potentially tedious and unfun.

I mean, this is Secrets of Grindea (Grind-e-ah? or grin-deh-ah? - other? still not sure), we are gonna be grinding for cards, item drops, loots and we are gonna have excess materials... I like the idea of items being used for potions and if we are gonna have over 1274 iceicles, I would rather like to have a use for them...

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I like the last option! It does indeed have various advantages. As you say, it's always nice to have a new type of valuable reward, and making the potions a bit more prominent would be nice, too.

Ardeof

Rabby
I like the last option! It does indeed have various advantages. As you say, it's always nice to have a new type of valuable reward, and making the potions a bit more prominent would be nice, too.

What about those who feed their pet potions to gain % stats?

Own

I'd personally be cool with it if potions no longer counted as a pet food. They invalidate fishing altogether as anything but something to get achievements off of. Being able to get a ton of permanent stat ups off of just plunking down 100,000 gold seems silly, especially since gold is only going to get more and more plentiful as the game goes on. Nixing potions now seems like it'd be future-proofing against that.

That or make it so pets can't level beyond level 1 in any specific stat by potion use.

Also, @Teddy, if you do go with that option it might be handy if Remedi explained to the player not to drink one potion while another is active, since it'll cancel the effect of any currently active. :p That really needs to be explained somewhere in the game.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
What about those who feed their pet potions to gain % stats?

I feel the ease of spamming potions to feed the pets isn't a very interesting dynamic. I'd rather increase the effectiveness of other items to compensate if it becomes an issue! That the potions functions well as potions must take precedence, after all.

That really needs to be explained somewhere in the game.

For the next patch, this is explained in a bag tips (appearing the first time a potion is used, and displayed a second time if a user overwrites a potion with another potion). If the potion system is changed and a Remedi explanation is added, we'll probably mute the first bag tip, but still display the one triggered by an overwrite!