Shield Slot Alternative for Magic Builds

t4e.axel

Green Slime
Magic classes usually have to go short range while they wait for their mana to recover. Here is a quick suggestion.

Tome, Book, Encyclopedia, etc. :
1- Goes in the shield slot.
2- (Optional) Increases MAtk.
3- (Optional) Decreases Armor
4- While raised, it increases mana regen (EP Reg) by X amount.
5- While raised, it surrounds the player with an "Energy Shield" that absorbs damage like a normal shield at the cost of your mana.

I believe this would make magic builds run more fluidly while keeping good balance.

I support the idea of a shield alternative. Or, failing that, the addition of shields that are geared towards magic-based characters. Your specific suggestions are interesting to me, too.

Rabby
I don't think the energy shield should be put there. I think it should just be a weaker shield that could either increase EP regen, reduce EP costs, or both but you actually can't block at all.
What's the point of regenerating all this EP if I just go "oop someone hit me now I can't use magic." or something? However, I'm seeing you recharging your mana faster when the shield is out, causing a high risk high reward play with that shield (The more hits you take the less spells you cast but the longer it's out without taking a hit the more magic you get back.)

If anything maybe if you use it you teleport a small amount in the direction you're currently facing? The best way to live is to not take a hit in the first place.

Nayra

Green Slime
Reading a book in order to recharge mana instead of defending with a shield to prevent dmg - sounds like a very creative idea to me and I like it, I'd like to try it out :3 especially because I'd like to make my character a magician or a witch and somehow it seems difficult to me... or maybe I'm doing something wrong... but I feel like playing a warrior is easier than playing a magician in this game, or is it just my impression? Well, however, that's why I give a (+) for that book-boost-idea!

7 Dead Lee Sins

Green Slime
As mentioned, the idea of a barrier that uses your mana when you get hit seems counter-productive to what you're trying to achieve. Also I feel it should be quite a heavy risk-reward type of play. You sacrifice defense for the sake of more offense, so why do you still need to implement a version of said defense?

Overall a good idea, but point #5 seems redundant from a gameplay perspective, and from a lore balance perspective I think it should not offer a defensive option to begin with.

IHeartPie

Halloweed
Reading a book in order to recharge mana instead of defending with a shield to prevent dmg

Adding my +1 to this idea! Especially great in multiplayer since only the front-line people would really worry about shields anyways :3.

Gotta make it balanced tho, so it doesn't feel like you HAVE to use it to be a mage =P.

Fred

Developer
Staff member
I personally like this idea a lot. Not too sure about the energy barrier for the same reasons stated above, but the general idea of having a shield that helps EP-focused characters is a thumbs up for me!

Laki

Green Slime
I agree that a magic based shield would be a great help.

I think a removal of the ability to block, but the addition of the ability to blink/teleport (probably for a mana cost, could function similar to a dodge perhaps) would be not only a lot of fun, but would also fit in with the idea of a magic-using class as well.

I could see enemies such as bees being a potential problem with this, however.

Own

I'm completely against the idea of removing the ability to block, under any circumstance. =x Blocking is just as important to the combat of the game as slashing, skills or spells. Without the ability to block attacks, you remove a lot of the complexity within the combat system, turning every battle into a contest to see which side can do damage more quickly than the other. If you fail to out-damage the enemy before they out-damage you, just go grind until your DPS > their DPS. That's not a fun message to send. =P

That's just my opinion, though.

Laki

Green Slime
I think that's a fair opinion. If that's what the developers think is best, then that's what the developers will do. :)

Personally, I think having multiple damage avoidance methods would add replayability, since the game play would feel more distinct based on which item you had equipped. I do have to admit I am biased though. I tend to make rpg characters which dodge around.

That being said, I think shields should still be a viable option for casters. Melee spell users are always fun! Maybe some of the uncreated passives could be shield based? Something like melee getting a strong counter attack on perfect block, or casters getting a chill/slow on perfect block.

ragnarokio

Green Slime
I like the idea of adding shields that help certain archetypes specifically, but I really like the perfect guard mechanic and wouldn't like to see the game move away from it. A shield that has a below par shield health but raises your energy regen while raised, or perhaps when attacks are blocked, sounds great. Support itemization without removing the core functionality of the shield.