[SUGGESTION] On Difficulty Options

Wipeout

Green Slime
1.) An option to lock in your initial difficulty setting when creating a character.
(In other words; an option that would prevent on-the-fly difficulty switching for that particular character when it's created.)
Reason A: As it stands right now; if I run into an area/monster that I'm having a hard time overcoming, I'm going to use whatever strategy the game allows (without cheating) to get past it and instead of rethinking my approach/strategy to fighting the monster or going back, practicing blocking, and leveling up a bit more, I just turn down the difficulty, beat the boss, never really get better at the game and loose that feeling of accomplishment.

Reason B: If I or someone else say that they beat this game on hard; well did they really beat the game on hard or did they beat small parts of it on hard while the rest of the time they played on normal? Again, this goes back to that feeling of accomplishment.
2.) Hardcore/Semi-Hardcore options.
(Like arcade mode only for story mode, if a player selects the hardcore option when creating their character, then if that character dies, it's game over.)
(Semi-hardcore would be like a lot of old-school platform games where you only have X number of lives to beat the game and perhaps you can get '1-ups' along the way increasing/recovering the number of attempts.)
Reason A: If you've ever played Diablo 2 or Path of Exile on hardcore, you know it makes the game much more intense, exciting, and rewarding.

Reason B: It's great for streamers. People who stream themselves playing games on sites like twitch are great advertisements for any game. Knowing that the person your watching is playing hardcore mode makes spectating much more entertaining, thus more viewers, thus more exposure to your game.

Reason C: Bragging rights and feeling of accomplishment. If death has very little to no consequence and I have infinite tries to win, it's really no feat that I beat the game.
Thanks for reading.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for posting! :D

It's pretty much set in stone that we'll at least add a Hardcore option at some point! This would also lock your difficulty.

I can see some people wanting to lock their difficulty without playing Hardcore, but can't promise we'll add that. If we did, I'm guessing that would be the semi-hardcore mode, to save some UI hassle (i.e, after selecting difficulty, you get to choose between Normal, Semi-Hardcore (locked difficulty) and Hardcore (locked difficulty + permadeath).

Cheynas

Rabby
after selecting difficulty, you get to choose between Normal, Semi-Hardcore and Hardcore.

Why not simply have two checkboxes, one with Hardcore (Locked difficulty) and one with Permadeath, upon character creation?

I mean, I might want to play certain parts on easy rather than hard due to some enemies patterns (aggressive bunnies at level 0), but still retain that permadeath option.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I don't see a problem with Hardcore on Normal since that's still pretty hard depending on your skills and your experience with the enemies. Shadow Clone in the Toy Factory can mess you up on Normal and the Dodging Strike is useless against Boars and Marino. Switching between Hard and Normal on hardcore should be harder than just going inside the menu and change it. I mean it's supposed to be a challange so maybe a quick sidequest to change from Normal to Hard or the other way around could be a thing?