The Highscores in Arcade Mode...

Erisior

Green Slime
Fair enough, I suppose I could have been more clever but I was mostly toying around with the stats. I'm assuming there's no way of getting off the blacklist?

I would like to formally apologize publicly for my attempt at pulling the wool over your eyes when it came to hex editing the client in order to speed up the process earning the rewards. I do love this game however and would be willing to do anything to reconcile for my lapse in judgment.

I also commend you on your checks and balances that were implemented. I had not suspected that something of that caliber was put into place. It's a relief to see that there is such an active effort into monitoring such activity. Kudos to you all. :)

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I do love this game however and would be willing to do anything to reconcile for my lapse in judgment.

Well, you could give us...

...one billion apples!

Seriously though, as previously mentioned, both you and @Heilias are obviously not assholes (except in the cheating department, which is of course deplorable and something @Fred and @SoyAntonio can vouch for I would never do myself).

I'll have you both removed from the blacklist on the next score wipe, (whenever that is)! To avoid any thoughts of relapse: the data from the cheating run is still saved, and it's saved by SteamID not username. In other words, changing the steam name and going in for a round #2 won't be a good idea :D

Erisior

Green Slime
I wouldn't want to relapse into that blacklist. I just wanted to see what (if any) safeguards there were to prevent such things. I found some interesting things while playing around.

Thank you very much for the second chance. I'll start farming those apples. Although I'm not sure I can exceed 999 at any one time so it'll take while :p

Enoen

Rabby
Maybe set a score cap determined by the highest possible combination of scores and anything that exceeds that blacklists the account front submitting any other scores. I'm sure that can be implemented. Or a more complex variant.
But like I said I don't really want to discourage these players from not posting up new scores. Like you said if there was some kind of score cap that players should be unable to reach without cheating; then
The reason you're both seeing all those scores is because you both were detected by the game as editing its memory and flagged for blacklisting. Blacklisting in this game means that instead of competing against regular people or getting banned outright, you'll get to compete against the other blacklisted people!

All blacklisted users get the run leading to the blacklist saved, in case there's a false positive (up until now there's been 0 false positives afaik), so I went in and checked the data of the run to make sure the system hadn't hickupped.

According to the system, Erisior was banned for editing pretty much everything under the sun. It all checks out with the provided metadata. I'm extremely confident this was a true positive.

Heilias didn't edit that much, but an attack stat of ~44000 isn't all that common! The collected data for the run also checks out.
Wait. I didn't do that for the score I have did I? I did have a certain runs where my attack modifier was insanely high because I had a friend over (Whom I bought a copy for and was bragging about beating Arcade Mode easy peasy) who decided to do something to the game that only allowed him to change his attack modifier. But I told him not to post the score because it was cheating and I didn't want to get in trouble when I was already reaching the 1000,000s with my build. I didn't uninstall whatever the guy was using and he promised me the same day he reverted my attack values back to normal so the run where I got less than Enfyny (About 129k) I earned by doing the equivalent of firing myself from a cannon straight into a brickwall.

I didn't even think the system could detect that and just denied posting any score I didn't earn myself thinking I was being a good person. I honestly apologize.

Last edited:

Enoen

Rabby
I wouldn't want to relapse into that blacklist. I just wanted to see what (if any) safeguards there were to prevent such things. I found some interesting things while playing around.

Thank you very much for the second chance. I'll start farming those apples. Although I'm not sure I can exceed 999 at any one time so it'll take while :p
I don't know how to modify values and have never been able to cheat in a PC game. And I don't need them. As much as I appreciate forgiveness of any level I refuse to be viewed as a cheater when I already gave clear advice on how I got to where I am.

Well, you could give us...

Seriously though, as previously mentioned, both you and @Heilias are obviously not assholes (except in the cheating department, which is of course deplorable and something @Fred and @SoyAntonio can vouch for I would never do myself).

I'll have you both removed from the blacklist on the next score wipe, (whenever that is)! To avoid any thoughts of relapse: the data from the cheating run is still saved, and it's saved by SteamID not username. In other words, changing the steam name and going in for a round #2 won't be a good idea :D
I don't want to be accused for being a cheater. And I'll take you up on that challenge and re-earn my score or reach even higher. The current score on the highscore board is after a few hours of me disciplining myself to score S rank in many stages while taking long periods of time with certain bosses to avoid getting hit after mastering their attack patterns in story mode including Winter as you could reset the temple and re-challenge him.

Edit 1: Actually I lied about a few hours (As in I forgot). Honestly took me a whole day and a morning to plan out my maneuvering through the stages without getting hit and getting as many S clears while hoarding my stat boost items for the fight with the Gund4m and Winter just to feel like I'm kind of up there with Enfyny.

So due to feeling like I've let you down without meaning to; By the next reset (Whenever that is) I'll prove to you in a youtube recording what exactly I'm doing to get to the 1200,000s. I want to be known in this community the same way I'm known in the Dark Souls community; for fair play and hard core discipline.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The score that got you banned was obtained by cheating, with an astronomically high probability! I'm not sure I follow your post, but I gather a friend cheated on your account?

If you didn't submit that score, and he didn't do it while you were watching, you should probably change your password. The run that got you banned was absolutely not a regular run by any stretch of the imagination. If you haven't done such a run yourself, someone else has done so on your account!

Proving your innocence by doing a recorded run of you beating your friend's cheated score sounds like a brilliant idea to me :D

Own

That sounds like a fun way to get people removed from the blacklist.

Caught cheating? Did a friend break the rules using your account? Want to redeem yourself and get leaderboard unbanned? Prove your MLG e-sportsyness by recording yourself legitimately beating Arcade Mode, start to finish!

I mean, only 17/2,150 people have managed it so far, but hey - no one said redemption was ever easy. :D If it were DOTA2, TF2 or CS:GO Valve would just leave the VAC ban on forever, even if it was just a friend on your account. I think 99% of websites follow the 'You're responsible for what people do on your account' rule.

Kidef242

Green Slime
DOTA2, TF2 or CS:GO Valve would just leave the VAC ban on forever, even if it was just a friend on your account.
Coming from a guy who is extremely involved into the Counter Strike community ( 7 painful years and counting, I hate the community so much) VAC bans can be removed if a "friend" of yours cheated from your account.

A guy from a professional team from Bulgaria [going by the name of E-Frag (the team name)] had a player VAC banned on CSGO, so he was using a secondary account. When the community found out, everyone started yelling and accusing the guy of cheating. He then made a support ticket and wrote about 2 pages or so how and why he wasn't the one cheating. Yep, the VAC ban did get removed.

Still though, professional from a normal player do have differences. So I might be a bit wrong on the "VAC bans can be removed for sure" part =P

Kidef242

Green Slime
I guess it depends on which Steam staff member you get and how they're feeling that day.
That is so true. I have this guy on steam who got a VAC ban on CS:S (he claims he never cheated, and I kinda believe him, he played CS:S really well, I doubt why he'd decide to rage hack) so he created a support ticket and the answer from a legit Steam staff was this:

"We don't really help cheaters".

He even send me a screenshot of it, damnit I must find it =P

Enoen

Rabby
The score that got you banned was obtained by cheating, with an astronomically high probability! I'm not sure I follow your post, but I gather a friend cheated on your account?

If you didn't submit that score, and he didn't do it while you were watching, you should probably change your password. The run that got you banned was absolutely not a regular run by any stretch of the imagination. If you haven't done such a run yourself, someone else has done so on your account!

Proving your innocence by doing a recorded run of you beating your friend's cheated score sounds like a brilliant idea to me :D
It's possible. I wasn't actually in the room when he was playing and was on my playstation 3 so by the time he called me over to check out what he was doing on my computer I didn't exactly know if he had posted a score already.

And now that I think about it...What if his score was higher than mine to begin with? ._. I'm still working on the recording though and your words of encouragement put me to ease so I'm less stressed about it. If anything now I'm more motivated to prove myself.

A-Jay

Green Slime
Only 17/2,150 people have managed it so far.

This is what I meant, I would love to see a TAS. They always make the game look like its the easiest thing that has ever been played. It is interesting to see the mechanics of games pushed to their limits. While there is no doubt that this is a clear advantage and uploading the highscore from such a run is unscrupulous behaviour.

Slowing the game down via a memory editor is a bit different and I was curious as to if the implemented detection system is able to recognize this when it happens?

*edit* Typo. Probably more. I am bad at making the words.

Last edited:

Enoen

Rabby
This is what I meant, I would love to see a TAS. They always make the game look like its the easiest thing that has ever been played. It is interesting to see the mechanics of games pushed to their limits. While there is no doubt that this is a clear advantage and uploading the highscore from such a run is unscrupulous behaviour.

Slowing the game down via a memory editor is a bit different and I was curious as to if the implemented detection system is able to recognize this when it happens?

*edit* Typo. Probably more. I am bad at making the words.
You're a Picklelo.

Nuclear Zebra

Green Slime
Just today I added a random person on steam, and they invited me to a story session where they went and one hit killed the furious giga slime, I was worried that I would get flagged so I immediately left the game, blocked him, and checked the highscores, but it seems I already got blacklisted- I'm not sure what kind of exploit he used or what, but I've been trying for awhile to climb the highscores and it'll really suck if I can't get a legitimate spot just because some jerk decided to be funny. What do I do to fix this?

Own

You can cheat all you want in Story Mode, it has no bearing on Arcade Mode or blacklisting. Story Mode isn't meant to be competitive. Screenshot your Arcade Mode score on the leaderboards and post it here.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
it seems I already got blacklisted

If you are worried because the two top spots were cheaters, that was just because we all went to Stockholm yesterday and I couldn't do the ban check on the leaderboards!

I think that next patch I'll make it so that entries suspected of cheating will be hidden from public view (but visible to the person who posted the score and myself, of course).

Own

So long as you see 'Pokesly's name in the top 10, rest assured you're not blacklisted. :D