Translations out of bounds

res7less

Jumpkin
Okay, um, while polishing my translation I sometimes run across occurrences, where there is simply no shorter word in certain cases. I don't know if that's only the case with the russian language, but we sometimes just don't have certain things and longer words have to be used, which go over the bounds. And just shortening them with a dot at the end isn't very elegant. So maaaybe there are other solutions? Like using a smaller font here and there? Or wider bounds?

Here are some examples:

1. Collector ID
collector_id.PNG

Okay, in russian there is no such thing as in ID. The equivalent for this would be just write the two words for identification document, which would be even longer. Another possibility would have been to take "card", like ID card, but there are already collectible cards and treasure maps (which in russian just so happen to also be cards), so I didn't want to have more confusion. So I just chose the word for "passport", but the problem is that the russian word for "collector" is also pretty long, so together it just doesn't fit into the designated place.

2. Grindea Healthcare
healthcare.pNG

Here it's basically just the huge font that's killing the space. And I already tried several words like "hospital", "sickbay" etc. All too long. From the side of the humor the current one would be the best, though, since it's the well known short version of the Ministry of Health in Russia which in this case is Grindean Ministry of Health, so I would like to keep it.

3. Some inventory categories.
inventory_categories.PNG

The main problem are usables right now. I only took the proper equivalent for the screenshot to show how it would look, but in the current translation I used a word meaning something like "useful things" which is shorter, but doesn't really match the original which means "items that can be used". But also "All weapons" and "One-handed weapons" are pretty at the limit of the border.

4. Cards in album
journal.PNG

As mentioned before the word "map" in russian is the same word as for "card", so to avoid confusion I simply called the cards "pictures" instead - which they essentially are. The word for "pictures" is one letter outside the bounds, though.

5. Some NPC names
names.PNG
In russian there is no Dr. or Mr. or Mrs. and the like, so it would need to be spelled out in full, doctros, mister etc. Doing that blasts outside the bounds, though since Mr. and Mrs. are "Господин" and "Госпожа" which are both pretty long words (only Ms. works since "miss" in russian are also only 4 letters), so I currently just take the last names and leave the Mr. and Mrs. out. In Dr. Jones' case it would be important to leave it though to make the reference possible. But making bounds adaptable on NPC names like it is on enemies would be really marvellous.

6. Cost reduction
resource_reduction.PNG

That's as far as I remember the only one of those Stats that's too long and can't be abbreviated properly. "Modification" and "Regeneration" were shortened with a dot.

7. Melee
skills.PNG

Translating melee properly would be "Рукопашный бой" which would be far too long, so I used the slang-ish word for that which is still touching the frame, though.

8. Save & quit
save_n_quit.PNG

Here's what it would look like if I would be really translating "Save & quit" as it is, so nope. Currently it's just saying "To menu" in russian (and "To town" instead of "End run" in arcade). The word for "Options" is currently using the word for "Settings" since the options word is missing a glyph in the font, so it can be ignored in this case. I will mention the missing-glyph-stuff elsewhere.

Those are all for now, but I think some will follow.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Couldn't you use something like Collector Information (Collector Info) to shorten down the first one? @Teddy should probably add the feature to resize the font so you can make stuff fit better. :p

res7less

Jumpkin
Couldn't you use something like Collector Information (Collector Info) to shorten down the first one?
Unfortunately not since "information" would, as everything else, have to be written out. Even typing "info" in google translate gives you the russian word for "information". Don't ask my why, though - I didn't invent the language, I was only born to it :p

Edit: If things were as easy as that, I wouldn't be making a thread about it :D

GarlicJelly

:bag: "Stop with your flippidy-flopp-schmuck and use some real words from that brain of yours, or maybe you forgot it at home?" *Insert Bag's evil grin here*

GarlicJelly

I think it's more of a cackle (witch laugh) when he does that :p
He looks straight up evil when he does it. That's the face you make when you've set someone's hair on fire and you're just hiding behind them to watch their whole world burn. (Pun intended)