Version 0.599e

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.599e (hopefully we reach the 0.6 Stable before z!)

Summary: Bring your bug nets, people! Steam Networking is here! There are also some well needed bug fixes for the rather severe Arcade Mode bugs happening on the new floors.

Currently you can only invite friends to Steam multiplayer games (or have them join you by right clicking in their friend list). I'm honestly stumped as to why the green "Join Game" button does not appear on community profiles, though. I've posted about it on the Steam Developer forums, so with some luck that might be resolved.

Also, the Round Robin item share setting is now available! How this work is simply that everyone gets an equal share of stuff picked up, no matter who actually picked them up.

The most anticipated feature, however, is probably that you can write /startlog Own, press Escape to bring up the menu, close the menu, and then write /stoplog to get a super interesting log of key presses and stuff!!

Additions
  • Steam users can now connect to friends using the invite screen in the lobby, or via the regular Steam Friend List
  • The Round Robin item share setting has been added, and has been made the default option
  • The Main Menu Options have a new setting (Network) allowing you to switch between IP and Steam
Changes
  • The Lobby chat messages now fill up from the bottom of the window, like in any respectable chat!
  • Coins are now distributed as per Round Robin regardless of item share setting
Bug Fixes
  • Arcade Mode should no longer randomly crash when changing rooms in Temple of Seasons
  • Summer & Autumn no longer bails on their boss battle in Arcade Mode, Temple of Seasons
  • In Arcade Mode, leaving the Toy Factory Boss room after it's been defeated no longer makes it disappear, leaving you stranded
  • Enemies should no longer be able to spawn during cutscenes, confusing clients
  • Freezing an appearing Halloweed with the Winter's Guard no longer causes it to become invulnerable
  • Marino should now drop loot properly after getting his butt kicked in Arcade Mode
  • Gaining cards which increase HP now properly interact with %HP bonuses
  • The game now properly remembers your preferred language

Own

Was there a stealth nerf to either EP regen or EP regen while using Insect Swarm? EP Regen seems slower than it was in the last version, but that may be my imagination.

The most anticipated feature, however, is probably that you can write /startlog Own, press Escape to bring up the menu, close the menu, and then write /stoplog to get a super interesting log of key presses and stuff!!

How sweet. <3

Own

Test #1: Opened the game, pressed enter typed the command, pressed ESC, Menu Opens/Closed automatically, pressed enter, typed second command. Output:

Menu Button Press Detected in MenuInput
Menu Button Press Detected in GameInput
Menu Entered
Menu Button Press Detected in MenuInput
Menu Button Release Detected in MenuInput
Menu Exited
Menu Button Press Detected in GameInput
Menu Button Release Detected in GameInput

Test #2: I tried the talk-to-NPC thing and the double-move-in-menu thing, both blank log. I assume this is entirely for ESC?

I assume the bug is from the game simultaneously seeing 'MenuInput' and 'GameInput' somehow?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, I just added the checks for the menu as I'm assuming all the issues are symptoms of the same bug.

As you might've guessed, that's a bit more inputs than you should get from one press of the button :p

Thanks for posting the log! Now I've got a pretty good idea of where to look

Edit: And no, EP regen have not been stealth nerfed ;D

Reactions: Own

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I was in the Arcade Season Temple and I have a suggestion. Hydra Heads that spawn as regular enemies shouldn't overuse their abilities. I had a room with Frost Hydra and it used it's beam four times in a row. Not only it was useless for it to do this, it was impossible to get anything more than C for this room (and the next one with Hydra too).

Own

Oh, one more post:

I'm honestly stumped as to why the green "Join Game" button does not appear on community profiles, though.

It may be because the game isn't publicly visible yet. There are a LOT of links in the Secrets of Grindea page in your library that auto-forward to the main page of Steam because the game isn't public yet. I know I can right click people's names in my Steam friends window and invite them to my game, so the interface is there, you just don't have the public authorization yet. SoG isn't even listed in people's game pages if they own it, is it?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
SoG isn't even listed in people's game pages if they own it, is it?
Nope. You can't see the game in peoples game lists and it's not either in the list if you're sharing your steam library.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.599echo (Hotfix)

Summary: I pushed out a hotfix due to a not-quite-rare-enough crash bug in the new Steamworks multiplayer (usually related to zoning). I've thrown some other stuff in there as well!

@Own, I think the menu bug should be solved now, and I also think this means the other similar stuff should be fixed as well! Can you fire the game up and take a look?

Changes
  • Lone Hydras in Arcade Mode will no longer use breath attacks if they are the only remaining enemy
Bug Fixes
  • A disturbingly common crash during zoning in multiplayer (Steam) has hopefully been fixed
  • Round Robin is now less aggressive in its wealth redistribution (no longer affects fishing and treasure maps)
  • The game should no longer mistakenly detect double inputs during micro lags
  • Item previews while crafting are now once again rendered as silhouettes
  • An obscure crash bug in the crafting menu has been fixed

Reactions: Own

Own

Everything looks perfect from here on all fronts where doublepressing was an issue. :D Bug fixed. What'd you do?

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Awesome! :D

Well, the bug spawned from an oversight in the input logic. As usual, button presses are determined by comparing the current keyboard state with the keyboard state of the last frame. Whether or not a button has been pressed or released (or is down) is saved at the beginning of each frame, so that this logic can be modified if needed (sometimes it's useful to 'unpress' a button during a frame).

The faulty logic was that I checked if the button had been pressed down this frame, or if it had been released this frame, and only if neither of these were true were the "pressed" and "released" flags removed.

In the vast majority of cases, this wasn't visible, since a button press usually lasts for longer than a frame (~0.0167 seconds). However, in some cases and with some computers, there are instances where drawing something for the first time or creating new rendertargets cause tiny lag spikes. During such a spike, it's suddenly pretty easy to release the button the same frame!

So, what happens is that the button is pressed down in frame 1 and thanks to lag, released on frame 2, which causes the game to skip the button reset code, thus believing the button is both pressed and released at the same time! So the menu checks if the menu button has been pressed, goes "yep!" and closes itself. How silly!

Last edited:

Own

• Lone Hydras in Arcade Mode will no longer use breath attacks if they are the only remaining enemy

I believe this has broken your 'Don't Get Hit' challenge for the Summer Hydra, but I can't be sure. The last time I encountered it, it did nothing but breathe fire at me while I ran around. Anticipating this, this time I ran up to it to keep the fire controlled around it.

It rammed me. :p

Also, out of curiousity, does Winter have some sort of damage reduction on him? It seems like every bit of damage, or spell damage, I do to him is halved.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I believe this has broken your 'Don't Get Hit' challenge for the Summer Hydra, but I can't be sure. The last time I encountered it, it did nothing but breathe fire at me while I ran around. Anticipating this, this time I ran up to it to keep the fire controlled around it.

It rammed me. :p

Also, out of curiousity, does Winter have some sort of damage reduction on him? It seems like every bit of damage, or spell damage, I do to him is halved.

Oops! You're right, that guy should break the rule and always breathe fire :D

Pretty much all enemies have some sort of DEF, but Winter has more than most. Right now the effect doesn't differ much from plain HP at all, though, since no items give armor penetration!

Own

Oh, neat! I didn't know that. It'd be nice to see that in the in the enemy menu. Do they have DEF and MDEF seperately, or do they have just one base damage reduction?

If they are different attributes, it could be interesting to spread the elemental debuffs around some. Fire gets Burn DoT, Ice gets Slow/Frozen. Earth Spike could temporarily reduce enemy DEF by %, Wind Slash slices through enemy auras and temporarilyreduces their MDEF by %?

It... would, at the very least, make Wind Slash semi-useable, I must admit. :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It's all just a big fat blob of general purpose DEF, like for the players!

One of our thoughts about balancing Insect Swarm is actually giving it a big DEF debuff component and lower/remove the damage altogether. Problem with this is that it might become too much of a utility spell, straying too far from the other elemental spells!

PS: Wind Slash is so bad it's going to get replaced :(

Own

That would make Insect Swarm unplayable, unless you were a pure melee character, I think. Mages don't have much of a need for pure DEF debuffing spells. A spell like that seems like it would be more of a Support spell? I do like Insect Swarm as a spell, I just think it needs something to counterbalance it. Like the insects dying if you run too far away, since that's all people do with them - cast and run to the other side of the room.

Also, I don't think you need to replace Windslash. It's an interesting spell with an interesting mechanic. Couldn't you keep it, but rework it?

It would be neat if I could tap the Windslash spell, release and press any in any direction (not just N/E/S/W) to throw an airslash with Damage+Knockback in that direction. Make it more controlled, less random. Charging it could let you throw more airslashes in any direction with additional taps, throw some in the opposite direction as well, make the slash wider or something? It's only currently bad because of the semi-randomness of it, as well as the charge/aiming making you vulnerable.

Of course, I'd be happy if I could get a spell like the Autumn Mages have, too. Summoning (random? homing?) whirlwinds to bump into my enemies, knock them around or suck them up and bump them into other enemies would be a nifty replacement! :D

Vindelev

Green Slime
That would make Insect Swarm unplayable, unless you were a pure melee character, I think. Mages don't have much of a need for pure DEF debuffing spells. A spell like that seems like it would be more of a Support spell? I do like Insect Swarm as a spell, I just think it needs something to counterbalance it. Like the insects dying if you run too far away, since that's all people do with them - cast and run to the other side of the room.

Also, I don't think you need to replace Windslash. It's an interesting spell with an interesting mechanic. Couldn't you keep it, but rework it?

It would be neat if I could tap the Windslash spell, release and press any in any direction (not just N/E/S/W) to throw an airslash with Damage+Knockback in that direction. Make it more controlled, less random. Charging it could let you throw more airslashes in any direction with additional taps, throw some in the opposite direction as well, make the slash wider or something? It's only currently bad because of the semi-randomness of it, as well as the charge/aiming making you vulnerable.

Of course, I'd be happy if I could get a spell like the Autumn Mages have, too. Summoning (random? homing?) whirlwinds to bump into my enemies, knock them around or suck them up and bump them into other enemies would be a nifty replacement! :D
Own's got a point, a DEF debuff to mages would just make them even more of a glass canon. Other then that, i like your ideas about the Windslash spell, both ideas sound really good, and i think they will suit the game well. :)