[Visual] FPS background drops? Any Clues? Win 8.1 user

Ventus_X

Green Slime
Hi guys!

I'm having this weird problem, i tested the game successfully with my old crappy laptop with these specs:

Intel Celeron 1.6 processor
2Gigs of DDR3 RAM
Intel GMA 4500 graphics
Windows 7 with Aero activated

...and it ran super smooth, managed to finish the christmas dungeon successfuly. That laptop died (T_T) and i'm using right now a desktop pc with these specs:

Amd FX 6300 Black Ed. Processor
4Gigs of DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTS 450 GPU
Windows 8.1 Pro

And, sadly, after i reinstalled the game and created a new char (tested with a couple of versions), i had some FPS drops and slowdowns while moving. I passed the starter quest at Startingtown and defeated Vilya, but it was sluggish. Sometimes my FPS went back to normal for a sec or two and after that, back to sluggish.

Please anyone has a workaround or some tips? I read that disabling Aero should do the trick on Win 7 but Windows 8.1 cant disable the desktop 3d Acceleration AFAIK.

Any suggestion is appreciated, thanks!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That sucks :(

Does it happen both in Fullscreen (true fullscreen) and Windowed?

Ventus_X

Green Slime
Yes Teddy, unfortunately it does, i've been searching for a workaround, tried True Fullscreen, Windowed, several zoom settings, Nvidia control panel settings, but nothing yet. Don't worry man i hope it gets fixed someday, now i need to find another old laptop to play SoG hahahaha!. Still, if anyone in the community have some clue/workaround, please lemme know!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I did some digging and it appears games randomly suffer on certain machines due to Windows 8 perma-aero... one of which is a pretty popular rhythm game called "Osu!"

Their solution (which I would assume should work for you as well) was not exactly simple!

Here's a link to a reddit thread discussing the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/2xloyq/is_it_really_impossible_to_remove_aero_from_win_81/

And here's a small Java program that supposedly help automate this: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/177218

I wish I had a Win8 machine where this happened, so I could check if these things worked (I have two but unluckily they both run the game fine :()

Ventus_X

Green Slime
Lol i plead guilty! I play Osu!! Hahaha! Well, the Java program didn't do anything but the manual steps actually works!
(Also extracting the java program gave me two batch files i could rework to fit my needs! :D)
Thank you for your time Teddy, keep up the good work!