We need a place to host our demo! Any ideas?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
So, as it turns out, our dear website host's "unlimited" bandwidth is only unlimited as long as they think it should be. If they feel someone is "using too much bandwidth", they shut down the website. Not only the file that's being downloaded, but the entire website!

In other words, if we were lucky and too many visitors downloaded our demo, they would shut down the blog, forum and pre-order page.

There are numerous solutions that seem tempting at first, but that impose limits when you read the fine print. Dropbox for example, has a 20GB transfer limit, and each time this is exceeded the longer your public files will become unavailable for longer, so Dropbox is sadly not an alternative.

Do any of you have any good ideas on where we could host the file?

We will in either case host a .torrent file for people with a torrent client installed.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
We're looking into Mega.co.nz currently. It seems pretty nice. They do have limits but they are handled a bit better than other sites. Still taking suggestions though!

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Google Drive
I never heard of them having a bandwidth limit

Some people don't know how to use torrent sowfware and some don't want to propably

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the replies! Torrents are almost certainly best in theory, but as MrChocodemon says, not everyone use torrent clients.

It seems that Google Drive does impose limits: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16856102/google-drive-limit-number-of-download

We've checked out Mega, and are also looking at Mediafire (paid, but cheap).

ive got a ubuntu server where we could probably put it and conect it via ftp or sth.

That might be a nice mirror in case our primary source goes down!

Grincher

Green Slime
I've got Webspace with unlimetted traffic which I can offer until you "fix" your traffic-probs.
I will do this to ensure that me and my lovely Grindeaaddics can Play tonight :)

PM me from official account.
Server is hosted in Germany.

Rift

Green Slime
http://itch.io/ seems to do hosting of indie-games downloads... Right now it looks completely free, but later on they will likely start taking a cut.. but in the short-term, they might be a idea.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
We offer both a torrent and direct download! Hopefully the hosting issue is solved now :)

Thanks everyone!