What are your thoughts on difficulty balance?

Brom

Green Slime
Okay I'm not one to usually complain about things like that, but I'm really struggling when playing this game on Hard. Like, I had to drop the difficulty to easy to beat Winter, and now Queen Bee completely wrecks me. I can barely get to denting her healthbar with all the bloody superbees she keeps summoning.

"Well duh, it's Hard, what did you expect, and you just found the solution yourself, set the difficulty on Easy"

Well, yeah, but the problem is, easy is too frickin' easy. Like against Winter, I was just able to tank his damage and keep hitting him and he died before I did. I never managed to drop him below 1/3 hp on Hard, and that was using both defence and attack potions! I'm at the point where Easy robs me of all the enjoyment because I can just outlive my enemies with no brain power required, and Hard...let's just say I like my challenges to not be as challenging.

That said, I don't think that Hard difficulty needs to be nerfed; I'd rather have at least bosses on Easy get slightly buffed because as of right now they don't even pose a threat. Or even (although I don't think this is something that could be implemented in the short term) adding a Medium difficulty would be nice, some sort of middle ground between people who just want the story and those that find Hard too...well, hard.

So...what do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Haha, you're not crazy! The difficulty system certainly lacks nuance right now. We would probably need both an Easy difficulty (because many people think Normal is waaaay too hard), and a Nightmare difficulty to let us make Hard easier and Nightmare a bit tougher than Hard.

That said, it's pretty unlikely we'll add those until the game is getting close to finished, when we can sit down and plot some kind of difficulty chart for the entire game.

We do have the /beastmode command which makes enemies tougher, so you could try playing on Normal with that command active to maybe get something that's more to your liking!

Brom

Green Slime
Hah, well, thanks for the quick reply! Of course I didn't expect balance in general to be a top priority right now, but it's still good to know you plan on looking at it sometime in the future.

And I'll definitely try out that /beastmode command, thanks for the tip!