What skills do you dislike or avoid using, and why?

Own

Windslash was a skill that suffered from being too hard to control, leaving the player too vulnerable and not doing enough damage to compensate for it's drawbacks. So it had to go. :(

For me, there's only a short list.

Meteor: Requires too much vulnerability by being stationary, unlike EarthSpike it has an additional delay before it hits where you aimed it. Fast enemies are nearly impossible to hit with it. Good luck nailing a Ghosty, Frostling or Wisp with it.

Even worse, with 113 Magic Damage:

Basic Meteor: 244
Silver Meteor: 386 (+180 burn)
Gold Meteor: 442 (+252 burn)

Basic Spike: 282
Silver Spike: 345
Gold Spike: 750

Earthspike is the superior skill except at Silver level. At Gold level, it blows Meteor out of the water - especially if Meteor's burn doesn't proc.

Meteor should have much higher damage for it's drawbacks, or the ability to lock onto targets by targeting over them for at least a moment, but given the lack of that... it's really cool, but Spike triggers instantly and can be spammed. :(

Smash: Completely useless vs single enemies or bosses, the same as Chain Lightning was. You get an extra bit of damage vs large single enemies that can't be smashed, but at that point you may as well be basic attacking.

Added onto that it's really hard to see accurately where your enemies will go flying once you smack them. The only way I'd use Smash in it's current state is if there were an item I could use to spawn Smashable targets at bosses, or if red lines formed behind enemies in contrast to where you were standing while charging Smash. So you can at least figure out the trajectory the Smashed enemy will take.

Summon Plant: The first 4 levels of this do far too little damage, attack too slowly, have too little reach and require you wade an enemy back and forth over them over and over. It's just not interesting. Maybe if it could slowly inch it's way towards nearby enemies, or had extended reach, it might be good. But the first 4 points feel like a sloggy investment on the path to Silver Charge, which is amazing.

Berserker Style: I used to use this before when skills that hit with it regenerated EP, so you could chain together attacks and skills to keep EP regeneration momentum going. Now the basic charge eats EP so quickly it's almost impossible to use any other skill with it, no matter how quickly you attack. It's more tolerable at Silver, but only really becomes a skill you can use decently with other skills at Gold.

Adumu

Green Slime
I see your point on the plants, lol. I'm pretty much okay with them getting good at Silver Charge tbh, just because it's easy to get there early on if you put points into it. And the shooty plants are just so good.

And that is the only one of these skills I've actually used so my ability to contribute ends here. I just got the game yesterday :p

Own

Swing by Arcade Mode sometime, it's essentially a sandbox for experimenting with kooky builds. :)

Avos

Green Slime
The meteor should just do more damage and then it would be balanced nicely. Or maybe it could have a special effect that makes the meteor shatter into 8 shots upon impact, that fly a certain distance in every direction so the spell does even more AOE damage.

Kheb

Green Slime
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/some-technical-questons.5182/

If someone could actually clarify some of these question I can be sure.

However I think that anything that has a casting time is greatly overshadowed by the dps from basic melee attacks when done right. On level 18 with most talent points on defensive talents and having Static Touch 10 and Shadow Clone 5 (instead of ST 5 and SC 10) and +6% dmg from my pet I killed Phaseman and Gun-D4m before they could do anything but their first move (First time moving for Phaseman and first time hands down for GD). However grinding is easier with a lot of summons (they can still function while lagging hard). While playing Arcade you'd like safer options like Insect Swarm obviously.

Last edited:

Own

On level 18 with most talent points on defensive talents and having Static Touch 10 and Shadow Clone 5 (instead of ST 5 and SC 10) and +6% dmg from my pet I killed Phaseman and Gun-D4m before they could do anything but their first move

That's because Phaseman and Gundam aren't balanced for level 18 players. Maybe on Game Command /Beastmode ON, where enemies level up with you, but at that point normally you're balanced for Season Hydras and Winter.

Kheb

Green Slime
That's because Phaseman and Gundam aren't balanced for level 18 players. Maybe on Game Command /Beastmode ON, where enemies level up with you, but at that point normally you're balanced for Season Hydras and Winter.

Could explain why it was so easy xD.
However when I switched to my current build the same goes for the Season Hydras. I needed 2 shots on Winter.

I haven't heard about /beastmode before. Will this also make it possible for me to level up on anything but season knights/mages?

Kheb

Green Slime
Could explain why it was so easy xD.
However after switching to my current build, same story for the Season Hydras. I needed 2 shots on Winter.

I haven't heard about /beastmode before. Will this also make it possible for me to level up on anything but season knights/mages?

Teylor

Green Slime
The problem with meteor is its AoE range in my opinion. Even at gold charge, the AoE is incredible small. You can hit 2-3 enemies with it, if they are on top of each other, but given its name and mechanic, its AoE should be tripled at least or it should explode into 8 small meteors that fly in 8 directions after impact.

Kheb

Green Slime
I think that one of the major drawbacks of magic in general is the time (wasted) to target and aim. Especially with spells like Meteor which have delay before they actually hit (or miss in general). I can understand that this is something that you'll need to practice one just like you need to practice shielding when playing Melee. Though the hitstun of damaging enemies is actually what protects me from getting hit. Also if you want save ranged damage beside spamming 20 arrows, Insect Swarm is in my opinion still the best choice. I've read about Flamethrower being quite decent as well. Though, I have no experience using it. Also my brother had quite a decent time with using Ice Spikes in Arcade due to its fast decent damage and crowd control. I think that Frost Nova needs a buff too due to its horrible range and casting speed, neither have I found the damage interesting enough to use it.