Winter Boss Blocking Snowstorm (Pro Tip) ;)

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
If you've beaten Winter on the season temple you might have noticed that you can block his snowstorm attacks with your shield. It's not very effective against the normal snowstorms he throws out but when he uses his snowstorm attack right before he spawns the ice maze you might want to try getting as close to him as possible and block his snowstorm. If done correctly you can skip having to run through the whole maze and you save a lot of time and get a lot of extra damage done onto him. With a good enough shield and high enough DEF you can just hold down the shield button on Normal and avoid taking any damage at all. On Hard on the other hand you can't do that since the snowstorm does more damage. BUT, what you can do is perfect block his snowstorm with the crystal shield. I tired this out on Hard with the Phaseman Armor + Phaseman Boots + Purple Headband + Crystal Shield and it worked pretty well. I took a little bit of damage but I'm sure if you do this correctly you might be able to get away without taking any damage. Basically you just have to spam block through the whole snowstorm and if you get the timing right you perfect block all the damage and your shield only takes 6-7 damage per hit (instead of 30~ish).

Good luck. :)

Own

Haha, did you get inspired by my comment in that bug report thread about trying to figure out ways to withstand the blizzard?

My strategy was to carry a bunch of DEF items, get at least one level in Protect, at least one Defense potion and try to take the full force of it in Arcade Mode. You can pause to equip all the +DEF stuff and hold fast.

Try using a Defense Potion + Charged Protect and tell me if you can survive it on Hard in Story Mode? I'm not sure which version the Arcade Mode boss uses, Normal, Hard or somewhere in the middle.

GarlicJelly

Haha, did you get inspired by my comment in that bug report thread about trying to figure out ways to withstand the blizzard?

My strategy was to carry a bunch of DEF items, get at least one level in Protect, at least one Defense potion and try to take the full force of it in Arcade Mode. You can pause to equip all the +DEF stuff and hold fast.

Try using a Defense Potion + Charged Protect and tell me if you can survive it on Hard in Story Mode? I'm not sure which version the Arcade Mode boss uses, Normal, Hard or somewhere in the middle.
I actually got inspired when I tried out all the new items that got added. I haven't played in a while since I've been busy with school and such so when I found out that there were two new shields to build my character with I just thought "Hmm, I actually never tried to Perfect Block with the Crystal Shield on the snow storm." and so I did. :D I'll jump on now and try out the DEF potion and full DEF gear to see if I can make it through on Hard without perfect blocking. :)

Edit: With lvl 9 Support DEF skill and Def Potion active combined with the Autumn Armor, Summer Boots and Winter Helmet you can almost make it through. I perfect guarded the first damage from the wind and my winter shield ran out 1 damage before the snowstorm was over. So with 2-3 perfect blocks in that setup you will make it through without taking damage. How this will work on Arcade Mode I don't know. I still haven't played further than beating floor 4. :p

Last edited:

Own

Do you want to co-op Arcade Mode sometime? Honestly, the easiest way to survive is to learn the ropes. The best way to do that is to pair up with someone who can carry you, so you can afford to die a few times and get a feel for each new floor.

What is it that's giving you trouble?

GarlicJelly

Do you want to co-op Arcade Mode sometime? Honestly, the easiest way to survive is to learn the ropes. The best way to do that is to pair up with someone who can carry you, so you can afford to die a few times and get a feel for each new floor.

What is it that's giving you trouble?
My problem is mostly that I don't play much. I stopped playing after like 40 tries with the Furious Giga Slime (before the nerf). :p When I get back to Sweden I'm down to do tons of co-op unless you live very close to Sydney. ;)