Would a 'tool button' remove clutter enough to allow for tools in game, like bombs?

Own

In Link to the Past, you have quite a few items that do various things. But you also have to constantly go to the menu to switch them out. SoG can't exactly require people to have a dozen different hotkeys for a dozen different things cluttering up the screen either.

So could there be, I don't know... a button that you press to use a currently selected tool, or hold to switch between various tools? Or hold and press up / down to cycle through them? Something along those lines? I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

Currently the only available 'tool' is the bow, but after seeing the Toy Factory bombs could be kind of fun. :) Extremely limited quantity attack item (3?) that you bowl in a direction via targeting ala Meteor Strike, that rolls and explodes when it hits an enemy or wall. The opportunity to bomb open secret passages is always fun, too.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I wouldn't mind this at all. Most of the time I don't use the bow anyways because I don't like to rely on it, expecially when you don't regain your arrows after you die. Having something like the bombs to open up secret places
Like the bow. :D
wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe you could have some kind of fairy lantern or a flare gun that shoots out sparkling light that you use to guide your way through a otherwise pitch black dungeon (like the HM Flash in Pokémon?).

Cheynas

Rabby
Maybe you could have some kind of fairy lantern

Maybe have certain items dropped by mobs, like the lanterns from the pumpkin mages, be usable but limited.
Such as each lantern having 1 minute of fuel each, making your stock of them decrease in each dungeon.

[joke]
Or the apples/carrots be a healing item that restores 1 HP per usage, with a 5 second cooldown :p
[/joke]

Rokker

Halloweed
I think that this is a pretty good idea, but only if there are more tools waiting to be implemented.
But adding tools for the sake of having a Tools button is a bad idea.
I can definately see the fun in adding bombs, but looking at other games; some tools can be more annoying than they are useful. Like those damn candles in The Legend of Zelda... Those should've never been added in the first place.