Xbox controller deadzone

Nimbian

Green Slime
I've been tracking this game for a while and love the concept. I started playing the demo yesterday and love it. My one issue is the amount of deadzone in the xbox 360 controller joystick for movement. It seems like it may be too small. I found it very challenging to move entirely vertical or entirely horizontal. I would suggest increasing the amount or even better having a slider control in the options.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
You have problem moving vertically and blame it on the deadzone?
I think I don't understand you really.

Doesn't the deadzone mean just a circle which expands from the inside of the moving range of the stick which will not be translated into movement?
deadzone.PNG
The red is the deadzone setting I use for my Controller in the Dolphin Emulator. How would that help with horizontal or vertical movement?

Am I missunderstanding something?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I think what Nimbian means is that because the deadzone is pretty small, he finds it difficult to move horizontally without accidentally tilting the stick up or down, making the character run diagonally!

A slider in the options sounds like a pretty good idea for a future addition, I think!

Nimbian

Green Slime
That is correct Teddy. Thank you for the clarification. Tho after reading through the xbox controller api documentation, it may not be do-able. My initial understanding of the "dead-zone" implementation may be slightly mis-guided. Tho Teddy has explained my concern well I'm not sure if the "dead-zone" is necessarily the solution for the problem. It may have to be a normalization or a reduction based from the input of the analog stick to implement this. P.S. Sorry I'm a program by day gamer by night.