A few Cardgame-related suggestions, if there is going to be one.

Own

If SoG is going to have a card game, having monster cards and playing cards could be a little confusing, unless monster cards are used for the playing card game. If they're separate, using 'tokens' instead of cards might be a less confusing way of going about it. Little octagon/hexagon/etc shaped coins with an image of the monster on it.

Monsters could drop their tokens only if the player doesn't already have one of those tokens in their token box, additional copies would have to be won in matches or received as prizes. Or possibly, if a character loses a token, they can buy back any token they've already owned in the past from a token vendor for a large gold cost. Assuming they didn't just want to grind the token back from the enemy printed on it.

Tokens could be redeemed for prizes at a token vendor. So if you earn 3 slime tokens, you could trade them in for a Slime Mask. 3 rabby tokens, bunny ears hat.

Winning a token match could let you have a pick of any token your opponent has in their deck of tokens, but losing could allow them to take one of yours, potentially leading you into a situation where you have to hunt for more or buy your old ones back from a vendor.

As for how it could play out? If the tokens were based on the enemies printed on them, you could have things like:

(All numbers are just placeholder examples.)

Slime - 1 ATK / 1 HP token. If it hits the opponent's face, one of the tokens in their hand gets Sticky and can't be played this turn.

Rabby - 0 ATK / 3 HP token. Player can't be attacked while this is on the board.

Bee - 1 ATK / 1 HP token. (Can't attack unless this token attacked the previous turn.) or (50% chance for attacks against this token to miss + ignores obstacle tokens?)

Black Ferrets - 1/1 and 1/1. Summons both Teddy and Freddy as two seperate tokens on the field. Each one has a 10% chance of dealing 1 damage to another token of yours at the start of your turns.

Vilya - 3/2. After attacking, she is stunned the next turn. Gives +1 ATK to Teddy and Freddy tokens.

Flower - 2/2. Rooted in place, can only target enemies on the board, not the opponent.

Boar - 2/3. Can't be controlled. At the start of each turn, chooses a random enemy target to attack.

Elder Rabby - 0/4. Player can't be attacked while this is on the board. Gains 1 attack for every HP lost.

Pumpkin Wizard - 1/3. Attacks at a range, doesn't get hurt back when attacking an enemy.

Ghost - 3/1. Transparent the turn it comes into play, unable to be attacked.

Brawler Bot - 0/4. Starts inactive as a 0/4, awakens into a 2/4 the next turn if still alive.

Pecko - 1/5. Can't be controlled, pecks 2 random enemy targets at the start of each turn.

Crystal 0/4 - Adjacent tokens can't be targeted while this token is in play.

Phaseman - 1/2. Fires 3 shots at random enemy targets immediately when played.

GUN-D4M - 1/5. Explodes on death, dealing 2 damage to all tokens in play and both players.

Marino - 2/3. Strikes-through target, capable of dealing 2 damage to the token and the player with one strike.

Snow Thief - 1/3. Steals a random token from the opponent's collection for the duriation of the game upon hitting the opponent.

Bomb Present - 1/2. On death, spawns a 0/1 bomb token on the opponent's side of the board. When the bomb dies, it deals damage to the opponent / adjacent tokens?

I'm not sure how you could limit the most powerful tokens from being played first, or how many tokens could be played a turn, but this is just a topic for starter ideas. :D

Last edited:

Cheynas

Rabby
I'm not sure how you could limit the most powerful tokens from being played first

Well, one way to limit it would be to have a 'hand size' so you've only got a select few to choose from.
Also breeds that 'addicting' factor that is "next time I'm sure to have a better start".

how many tokens could be played a turn

Well, my suggestion would be to 'borrow' Yu-Gi-Oh's rules there, of being able to only (normal)summon one card per turn, unless card effects (special)summons more.

It's fair, and opens up a lot of token-effect potential.

Ex.
Jumpkin - 2/1. After placing any token other than Jumpkin on the field, you may place a Jumpkin from your hand onto the field directly afterwards.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
You forgot the Jumpkins, the Scarecrows, the Halloweed, the Wisps, the Blue Slimes, the Frostling Scoundrel, the Yetis, the Gifts and the Toy factory!

I like the token idea and you could use the Yu-Gi-Oh's rules where you have to sacrifice a lower leveled card to summon a higher leveled card to stop people from only using the strongest tokens. If you're going to use that system then I insist that the edges on your tokens should show what level your monster is. So Slimes could have round tokens which means that they can be used without a sacrifice while a boss token like Marino has a pentagon shape and requires a token or two to be sacrificed in order for you to summon that token.

With that said I still don't want to use the sacrifice system because it's used in so many other games. I would rather have a limit in your deck so that you can only have one token of the strong monsters in your deck while you play but you can have many in your inventory so if you lose one after a fight you might still have another one to use next time you play.

I also don't like the Yu-Gi-Oh's rule of only summoning one monster per turn. I think the Hearthstone rule with using mana to summon monsters seems a lot more balanced as players can't summon their Toy factory on the first turn and have it destroy everything the opponent puts out while he waits for a better token. And the worst thing for me when I was playing Yu-Gi-Oh was that if you summoned a monster on the field to use it as a sacrifice and your opponent had already summoned a really strong monster then it became impossible for you to use any monster you put out as a sacrifice as it would just get destroyed by the enemies stronger monster. In that sense Yu-Gi-Oh was kind of snowball-ish as once you had the upper hand you 9/10 times won because heart of the cards is a lie. So if you got a bad start there was almost no way to recover and without spell/trapcards it's completely impossible to turn around the game which is also why I don't think the Yu-Gi-Oh rules would fit for the Token idea since there aren't any spell/trap cards.

Own

I didn't forget, it was just a short list of examples. :p I dunno if something like this would be easy, good or even remotely what they had in mind. If I were seriously putting effort into it, though, this seems Jumpkin-y:

Jumpkin - 2/1. If this token kills an enemy with it's attack, it survives and can immediately attack again.