Arcade Survival Guide: The Battletank

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
It's always been my goal to beat Arcade mode with my own build since I started playing Arcade mode back in June 2015. Only now have I succeeded in taking it to Winter, through a small change which can carry you through all of the later floors. Fellow Grindeans, I present to you - the Battletank.

What this strategy aims to achieve is high defence (from now on referred to as DEF) and high attack (ATK) to compensate for a lack of knowledge of monster attack patterns. To put this into perspective, the second time I got to the Season Temple solo, I beat Winter. This exact run is caught on camera from start to finish, and I suggest you read the requirements below before you watch that. I'll do an analysis of the run after that, and I'd advise you read that too, but it's not a necessity.

Here I’ll be discussing the building blocks for the strategy, my own personal choices (which you may choose to abide by,) the video of me defeating Winter for the first time and finally a review of that run (if it was a good example to show people.) In a separate post in the Suggestions section I’ll discuss whether this sort of strategy should be allowed in Arcade. Sorry, it’s gonna be along post. Feel free to tl;dr :p

The Building Blocks
As with all builds, this strategy has its foundations. However, unlike most builds, this one is pretty lenient everywhere else. You will probably need all of these things below in order to make this strategy work.
  • It's a 1H build. You will have to be very familiar with a 1H sword, it's attack range and attack speed. The main way I do damage with this is through normal hits, which also gives you some extra DEF thanks to -
  • Brawler talent. 5 Talent levels, each giving a 5% DEF buff which lasts for three seconds. Up to 25% extra DEF is a killer – literally. If you can get a good attack streak going, you get rewarded with extra DEF, meaning if you accidentally take a hit it’s not that much of an issue.
  • Protect. This extra DEF will help you out so much in earlier floors, and even later ones, but to a lesser extent. Make sure you always cast it before you walk into a room.
  • Pretty good knowledge of floors 1-4. You don’t start with any skill/talent points to apply, so hits hurt badly, and tend to take a good chunk out of your health. I always restart if I take a hit on floor 1 or 2. If you decide to pump all defensive skills/talents, you won’t have enough ATK to make the higher floors easier.
  • +DEF and +ATK gear. The run will hand you these, and I’d suggest prioritising the +DEF stuff. Gear drops will be a large factor in whether your run is successful or not. Bosses are the main one.
  • DON’T GET HELLBENT ON S RANKS – TAKE YOUR TIME. Yes, they’re shiny. Yes they improve your score. But this is a SURVIVAL guide. I’m trying to get you to Winter reliably, so you can learn the attack patterns of enemies on later floors, so you get better at all floors with an equal rate. Otherwise you’ll probably end up with all S ranks in all rooms and a D for damage (yes, I did this a couple times in the video :/.)
That’s it.

The order in which you get the skills/talents is down to your preference. If you want to see the exact way in which I apply my talent/skill points, go and watch the video below. I’ve tailored it to my own ability (which is just scraping by floors with enough ATK to kill stuff in moderately good time,) and I roughly alternate between offensive and defensive talents, although my skills are a little complicated – I’ll explain those after the next section, which is…

Other Options/Personal Preferences
The things in this section have their uses, and some are more useful than others. You’ll probably need a few of these in order to make the run work, though if you play your cards right, you can swap a lot of them out for other things.
  • Dodging Strike. This is my main skill – an incredibly risky one mind you, but it allows you to keep a chain of hits going, therefore keeping up your DEF thanks to the Brawler talent. Perfect dodges allow for an extra damage burst which is very helpful to this process. It is heavily reliant on timing so use at your own risk in multiplayer if you’re not the host.
  • Backhander talent. If you’re chaining normal attacks to keep up your DEF, why not have an extra 10% damage per talent level on each return swing? Often the first offensive talent I pump.
  • Tenacious talent. Gives you more %HP. The reason I end up pumping this is in late game because my DEF is so high that each hit is only doing 20 damage, which is as low as it goes for most enemies. It then becomes more advantageous to have more HP. There’s also a limit to how much you can pump Brawler :(
  • Strength talent. Only pumped once I’ve maxed Backhander.
  • Blade Flurry. I only try to use this when I need to, the best example being stopping Jumpkins. I end up putting points into it later in the game, and I shouldn’t really. I’m cutting my DEF and wasting talent points and EP by doing so.
  • I often tend to turn off the game music and put on my own music (didn't do that in the video for fear of copyright strikes.) As cool as the Arcade music is, it raises the tension in me, and gets me over-hyped and makes me want to complete rooms quicker, meaning I take more hits.
You may want to swap out the skills for any other 1H skills, or even some magic ones if you think they fit well. Again the order in which you pump those is up to you. The way I do my skills is: 1 in Dodging strike, 1 in Protect, all in Dodging strike up until floor 4 where I put one point into Blade Flurry ready for floor 5/6. Get Dodging strike to silver charge and put all remaining gold points into it, get Protect to silver charge, get Blade Flurry to silver charge, and then some other random skill I feel like for my last skill point.

Pre-Video Tips and Tricks
  • Only use Dodging Strike if you really know what you’re doing – by all means do a story run through with it beforehand. I tend to dodge, wait for it to charge as other enemies attack where you were, then charge back in. By doing that you’re making sure you don’t take damage from anything else that decided to take a swipe at you when you dash back in. It’s almost always worth charging it up to silver if you can.
  • Make sure you don’t dodge back into spikes. Always angle yourself such that you won’t do this.
  • Shield cancel the dodge after you’ve jumped back if you need to. This can be a quick removal from a dangerous situation for the price of a bit of EP.
  • The Flying Fortress will be your greatest enemy. Compared to the later floors, you will probably take a lot more damage from normal enemies even after a lot of practice. I’m only just getting to grips with it.
How to get the most out of the video
  • If you’re watching how I attack, don’t just watch, analyse. Look at the angle I’m attacking from, look at the distance I’m attacking from the enemy, look how many hits I make before I dodge/shield/run away. I’m normally very methodical with my attacks, but I’m not perfect.
  • I have specific ways of beating a lot of enemies/bosses up until Séasònnë, at which point it’s practically brute forcing it with all the spare DEF I have.
  • I perfect guard a LOT. I’ve played over 500 hours in the game so I’ve got the timing down for a lot of attacks, but I do slip up every now and then. Only do this if you’re confident that it’s worth taking the risk.
  • Having said that, some enemies HAVE to be perfect guarded to be killed quickly/safely. The main example of this is the Pecko, where Dodging Strike is practically useless, and three normal pecks on your shield will break it in no time.
  • This video is not the best of examples, but it’s a pretty good demonstration. If you want to know why, please read the video analysis under the video.
I hope the video is useful to you. To give you a scale of the incompetency this build allows for, this is my first run to Winter (made sure I caught it on camera ^-^,) and the second time I’ve gotten to the Season Temple.

Where I got lucky
  • +10 ATK ring
  • Bloomo Card for +50 HP
  • Pumpkin hat for +ATK and +DEF
  • Got the Slime Chestplate early for lots of +DEF
  • No Sentry
  • No Marino
  • Health potion from challenge on F12
  • Lots of money for a heal on F12
Where I got unlucky
  • Few fishing spots
  • No good +DEF shoes until F8
  • Didn’t get Summer Greaves until F11
  • Not that many shops until later floors
  • First time encountering the Hydras boss in Arcade
Where I performed well
  • High HP going into and coming out of the Flying Fortress
  • Perfect guarding was up to scratch
  • Didn’t take too much damage in Gun-D4M’s final barrage
  • Did quite well in Smashie Bashie
Where I performed poorly
  • Took damage against the Black Ferrets on floor 3 (almost quit the run at that point)
  • Surprisingly poor performance in challenges, could’ve been a cause for lack of good shoes
  • Defending against Ghostys
  • Defending against Peckos
  • Avoidance (or lack of avoidance) of bombs
  • Attack rhythm (you’ll often see me attack at nothing to see if I’m getting the timing right)
Overall, I played rather poorly, but that was made up for by luck in terms of bosses. The Sentry and Marino are evil bosses to fight with this build, and I’m glad I didn’t get either of them. Having said that, in my most recent run to Winter I had both of those bosses and the Hydras again, and I beat my highscore.

Anyway, I hope this helped anyone wanting to get through Arcade mode or get some practice at some of the higher floors ^-^

~G <3

P.S. Wow. 1754 words. I’m surprised I even have that much to say. If you read all of that then you have my gratitude :p I think I’ve forgotten a few things, so don’t be surprised to see this post edited a couple times.

Last edited:

Thalldor

Green Slime

Welp, that is quite annoying. I'm sure I will hit that limit soon knowing how much I put into these threads...

Quite an interesting build I must say although personally I'm not too fond of a defendy character builds. My logic is if you kill them fast / well enough then you don't need armor... Also gives you good training at avoiding monsters, blocking at the correct times and stuff. Although I do see the full value of your build and I think that is what makes it viable and is probably good company with an aggressive user in any coop games as they are more likely to die from what I've seen and experienced.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Also gives you good training at avoiding monsters, blocking at the correct times and stuff.
That the problem with learning with full on offensive builds - they don't get very far. This one allows you to get through all the floors, while being able to master every enemy at the same time, rather than mastering them a floor or two at a time. Otherwise the lower floors get tedious and monotonous when trying to practice the higher ones :p

Thalldor

Green Slime
That the problem with learning with full on offensive builds - they don't get very far. This one allows you to get through all the floors, while being able to master every enemy at the same time, rather than mastering them a floor or two at a time. Otherwise the lower floors get tedious and monotonous when trying to practice the higher ones :p

Aye true, kinda the reason why I dropped my original build for a meta build.

Pharphis

Rabby
Great guide. I've yet to watch the video but I'm already finding that I like the idea of using the armor spell and didn't realize how powerful backhander is. I don't even have a third perk slot yet and haven't made it past pumpkin woods, but I have found that I prefer to boost backhander before the defensive (on striking) move, so far.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Thanks. I understand an hour is a lot of time, so if you're really struggling in a certain area, skip to that part of the video and have a watch. Make sure to analyse as well, as I described in the "How to get the most out of the video"

Pharphis

Rabby
Watched the whole video. Lots to digest, as well.

I noticed what looked like you moving after using the dodge component, and still carrying the extra dmg when changing directions and target? I think I saw this happen on floor 11/12 the most

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Yes, that's a thing. Having said that, for some reason you can't move in the direction you're facing after the hop - you have to move in another direction first. It's really useful against enemies that don't attack you directly, meaning you can get a perfect dodge off a brawler bot and use it on a guardian, or off a season knight and use it one a mage :p

What would you suggest instead of Dodging Strike? I personally like the Dash for the evasion but I'd like to hear your take

Azazsd

Green Slime
i prefer glass cannon type builds instead of tanking literally everything, i find that the flamethrower attack is incredibly strong as it stuns *most* enemies, and you can move with it at silver charge, so that might be a good alternative to dodging strike for the stunlock you can perform, however it does go away from the theme of the run with his build being melee based not magic

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Sorry for the late replies! Hopefully you're all still around.
What would you suggest instead of Dodging Strike? I personally like the Dash for the evasion but I'd like to hear your take
I can't say I've used many other skills enough with this build specifically, nor have I played the game enough recently to make any decent suggestions.

Having said that, I do prefer the dodging strike for evading, simply as it does grant you invincibility frames, even if it's over a short distance and length of time.
i prefer glass cannon type builds instead of tanking literally everything, i find that the flamethrower attack is incredibly strong as it stuns *most* enemies, and you can move with it at silver charge, so that might be a good alternative to dodging strike for the stunlock you can perform, however it does go away from the theme of the run with his build being melee based not magic
Yeah, not sure magic would work expertly well. I wouldn't be against giving it a shot however. Then again, you're cutting the crucial DEF you need early/mid run by not hitting things, so it's probably more beneficial to go for the full glass cannon. Just be aware that build might have some changes in the future, seen as it does sorta dominate arcade a little.