Beta FAQ ~Ask your questions here~

Enoen

Rabby
I guess that depends on what you consider short or long. Sure, it won't be a 100+ hour campaign a la Baldurs Gate or other hardcore RPGs (unless you go for 100% completion, I suppose, nobody can tell how long it'll take for that). We believe rushing through the main story will take approx. 10 hours in the end, and I think that's pretty common in games today!
If the game is fun then that's all that should matter. Can you not see yourself replaying the game or simply overstuffing your pet bunny just for fun and maybe getting your friends to buy the game and have them live your experience?

A game is fun for as long as the player enjoys it. I never picked up Secrets of Grindea for the story only.

Only. For. DA LOOTS. (And for the sheer fun and challenge it presents to me.)

SeeNyu

Green Slime
I guess that depends on what you consider short or long. Sure, it won't be a 100+ hour campaign a la Baldurs Gate or other hardcore RPGs (unless you go for 100% completion, I suppose, nobody can tell how long it'll take for that). We believe rushing through the main story will take approx. 10 hours in the end, and I think that's pretty common in games today!

I was thinking about more grinding for levels or items to move on the story. Like you'd sometimes have to work really hard to get something and then be able to finish some main line quests. ITS GRINDEA, GRIND PLS.

I love this game, reminds me of old precious Chrono Trigger, but I would love to grind somehow after the story ends :(

Well that's what the fishing/card/item/pet collecting is for xD you'll be grinding a while for those, and since the game isn't done yet there will be a lot more to it so that means many more grinding hours. Also there's arcade and that's one hell of a grind in itself, and some rewards carry over to story haha :D

Jackal

Green Slime
For you newcomers, in my ~138 hours of gameplay I recently stumbled into an interesting phenomenon with the Frostling Rogue Card and chickens. People who have played the game may see where this is headed but allow me to explain for those who might not.

The Frostling Rogue Card grants a chance for a money drop per hit. In Secrets of Grindea, chickens are immortal... so when combined and mixed with a dose of time and button mashing, you have a recipe for infinite gold. Though this isn't as useful as you would think as money is of very, very limited value in Secrets of Grindea.

(I wasn't entirely sure where to post stuff like this, so if I'm informed otherwise I'll post there in the future. But I figured it was a beta test discovery)

Addressing developers now, I ask of thee to answer mine questions thus:
1. As I just explained an infinite gold glitch/exploit, naturally my first question would relate. I know that the stores in Evergrind have a modicum of basic gear for sale, but beyond this is money ever going to have a real purpose, because with my ridiculous amount of grinding, I have enough gold to buy America's debt... in full... outright...
2. I would like to know when better gear will next be available, I'd guess with the release of the next area, but wasn't gonna ask about the next area.
3. Is their going to be some form of weapon enhancement system?
4. Will there be better options for players who wish to play as archers? Enhanced quivers, talent tree of their own and even better bows, perhaps? I've just been looking for a good game to play as an archer, and thought maybe this could be that game.

Last edited:

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
1. As I just explained an infinite gold glitch/exploit, naturally my first question would relate. I know that the stores in Evergrind have a modicum of basic gear for sale, but beyond this is money ever going to have a real purpose, because with my ridiculous amount of grinding, I have enough gold to buy America's debt... in full... outright...
Once the game is done there should be a lot more options in terms of what to spend gold on. We come up with new ideas every now and then, but we haven't implemented everything yet :)

2. I would like to know when better gear will next be available, I'd guess with the release of the next area, but wasn't gonna ask about the next area.
You pretty much already answered your own question, once we implement more Story Mode stuff (particularly the next area) we'll add more gear in terms of drops, crafting stuff, etc to go with it!

3. Is their going to be some form of weapon enhancement system?
We've talked about this a lot in the team, and I think it's definitely a possibility! We haven't decided exactly how it would work, though.

4. Will there be better options for players who wish to play as archers? Enhanced quivers, talent tree of their own and even better bows, perhaps? I've just been looking for a good game to play as an archer, and thought maybe this could be that game.
Bows will probably not get a super special treatment in terms of talents or skills of their own, but more & different kinds of upgrades/enhancements are very possible!

Own

Once the game is done there should be a lot more options in terms of what to spend gold on. We come up with new ideas every now and then, but we haven't implemented everything yet :)

I personally hope that houses are one gigantic goldsink when they're added. :D Buying all the different wallpapers, gramophone discs of in-game music, furniture items and other odds'n'ends. Hauling sacks of loot back to town just for the purpose of upgrading the house seems like fun.

The Observer

Green Slime
I see in the collector's tier that people who buy it will be able to get an NPC in game. What does that entail, exactly? A lot of NPCs are in special locations, etc, have houses of their own, or do we just get to set their appearance and maybe a line or two of dialogue?

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I see in the collector's tier that people who buy it will be able to get an NPC in game. What does that entail, exactly? A lot of NPCs are in special locations, etc, have houses of their own, or do we just get to set their appearance and maybe a line or two of dialogue?
We'd definitely be up to give the buyer some say in the kind of environment his/her character would be found in, but within limits - for instance, asking for a completely new, full sized area might be a bit much! If you, or anyone else, have an idea in mind, feel free to send us a mail detailing what you'd like and we'll see if we can't work something out :)

Frank Aetheria

Green Slime
Hi, played the demo and loved it!
I've browsed the forums in hope for an answer to the following question but haven't found one (sorry if I missed it).
If I purchase a tier of the pre-order (say the 100 dollar one) will I later be able to upgrade to a higher tier?
I'd love to get the 500 dollar one but cash wise, it's quite an investment to buy it all at once.
Thanks for the reply!
Frank

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Hi, played the demo and loved it!
I've browsed the forums in hope for an answer to the following question but haven't found one (sorry if I missed it).
If I purchase a tier of the pre-order (say the 100 dollar one) will I later be able to upgrade to a higher tier?
I'd love to get the 500 dollar one but cash wise, it's quite an investment to buy it all at once.
Thanks for the reply!
Frank
Glad to hear you like the game! :)

Currently there's no system for that (though from what I've heard the people on Humble are working on it - no ETA as of yet though). We've had an unofficial solution to similar instances in the past, though, where you buy another tier and add the remaining amount as a tip (minus what you paid for any previous tier), and send us a mail with the transaction IDs of your purchases. With those we can check how much in total a buyer has paid, and give them the proper tier.

Obviously it's not very straight forward, but we make do!

Hexadecimal

Green Slime
Is there a way in Arcade Mode to skip to later floors to practice them? I'm fine with it negating any kind of highscore I get. I just want a way to practice running through later levels without having to grind through 6-9 floors before I can get to the ones I actually need practice on.

Own

If you want to practice later floors, just switch Hard Mode on and swing into Story Mode. Hard Mode is actually harder than Arcade, so if something is giving you trouble, try clashing with it there.

Kheb

Green Slime
Hey, I find a lot of tool tips unclear of what they are actually doing due to lack of a lot of information on how skills and talents interact with each other. How you going to approach this? I can do some maths and guess by looking at my damage however I'd really appreciate some kind of general information sheet somewhere in game or on the forum to confirm my hypotheses.

Keep up the good work, this game is amazing ;D!

I've made this topic for my questions,
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/some-technical-questons.5182/

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gabisa2015

Green Slime
is it too early to ask when mods may come out? i know it isn't easy to do all those animations, but surely someone can. also, should this be made into a thread discussion?

edit: also, about essence, under what circumstances exactly does one obtain it? it seems i have to go on an attack streak to get it as a drop

Last edited: