Chicken Savior Quest. Can you complete it yet?

XRizerX

Green Slime
There's a side quest in Western Evergrind Fields called Chicken Savior.

You just have to return a chicken to the farm to the north but it's trapped behind a giant cracked rock.

I'm assuming you can't complete this quest yet as you need some kind of rock breaking key item but I'm still curious... can it be completed? If so, how?

Own

There is no rock breaking item. But,

Hint: What looks powerful enough to break a rock?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It can be completed! If you really want to know:

You can destroy the rock by tricking a boar to charge into it

XRizerX

Green Slime
I honestly didn't even realize this was a possibility...

I mean I figured out the mirror puzzle in the fortress and I thought that required some pretty critical thinking because at a glance it looks impossible to accomplish.

Thanks for letting me know about the Boar, I would have NEVER figured that out... really I wouldn't have.

The reason this probably stumped me is that most old school RPG's gave you a hint through story progression what your character was capable of. At no point during the adventure did I ever have to make an enemy interact with something in the environment to progress.

I can understand why you gave that one away. I thought I had to use a two handed item to smash it or something from that first hint given.

Haha thanks for the tip, I'm with XRizerX, I wasn't even thinking this way. I agree a hint through story progression would help out here!

Own

I'd rather there not be an obvious hint that you need to lure the enemy there, since a lot of players seem to get it. Those who don't linger near the rock long enough to discover it by accident. In either case, it only awards EXP. It makes you feel clever when you figure it out yourself. :) Boar charges, boar slams into things, boar dizzies himself from obvious impact. What happens when boar rams into other things?

Yari

Boar
Lucky for me, I was respeccing everything to Meteor and Earth spike to try on it, when a boar hit me and into the boulder.

I'd rather there not be an obvious hint that you need to lure the enemy there, since a lot of players seem to get it. Those who don't linger near the rock long enough to discover it by accident. In either case, it only awards EXP. It makes you feel clever when you figure it out yourself. :) Boar charges, boar slams into things, boar dizzies himself from obvious impact. What happens when boar rams into other things?

Boar? What boar? I am sure I'm not the only one who clears out everything before doing quests, talking to NPCs, etc. That's why it was so mysterious to me. The tools I needed were gone and when they came back I annihilated them without a thought. Heck, my summon even took care of the re-pops. :)

I totally get wanting to keep the sense of discovery, though. What if there were a boar tusk on the ground near the rock? I wouldn't need any boars alive to slowly put things together that way, and it's less overt than teaching me via some other scene that boars can smack rocks.

XRizerX

Green Slime
Yeah what I meant by a hint was like at some point during the Adventure it would of been cool if there was a tutorial for enemies interacting with background objects... like for example:

In the introduction you fall down a hole (yes Secret of Mana reference) you're trapped inside a cave and have to clear out some rubble to unblock the entrance / exit to the cave but you have no bombs... so like a friend or village person shouts down the hole "Hey use the Bombats to clear the rubble!"

(Bombats are bats that are round shaped like bombs and explode if they dive attack you) - something I just made up.

That's what I meant by a hint... a one time occurrence during the story but then used later in different situations (like the Boar incident).

Either way, just a thought. :) Carry on the good work.

Dissius

Green Slime
I happened upon the solution by just crossing my fingers and hoping. I mean there were no bombs or other types of materials.

Martimus

Green Slime
Yeah, this one is a bit more obscure. I would never have thought to do this, and I have played and beaten just about every type of game in this genre. I feel stupid....

CatBug

Rabby
So.... I hope I'm not the only one who found out the solution on accident... right?
(walks on by scouting out the area, *CRASH* *dududuDing!* ??? Hmph Neat!)

Alfblack

Green Slime
Figured it out when I first passed there. I noticed the crack on the rock and suspected it. I had difficulty driving the boar into it. But 6th time was the charm! I also fail *most* of the chicken mini quest. Thank goodness no jump quest.

PS developer. That was not a suggestion. Perfectly happy with no jump quest.