[Crash] Typical the game deaded

skinnycam

Green Slime
the game deaded error, can't startup game, sent a bugreport with the name 'skinnycam' in it, tried scanning local cache and deleting files/redownloading (through program c steam apps), redownloaded net distributable 4 and tried without an internet connection, still having errors, happened after fighting pumpkin king on the 6th floor of the arcade last night (and dying)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hmm, looks like it crashes when loading the local Arcade Mode high scores (claiming that the name has no width so the name texture cannot be created)...

Could you zip and upload the arcademode.sav file found in %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea so I can have a look at it?

I'm guessing the problems would go away if you deleted (or renamed if you want to save it) the arcade mode save file.

Are you playing Stable or Frontline btw?

skinnycam

Green Slime
Hmm, looks like it crashes when loading the local Arcade Mode high scores (claiming that the name has no width so the name texture cannot be created)...

Could you zip and upload the arcademode.sav file found in %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea so I can have a look at it?

I'm guessing the problems would go away if you deleted (or renamed if you want to save it) the arcade mode save file.

Are you playing Stable or Frontline btw?

Wow, you guys are so fast at replying! I was playing stable when it crashed, also tried playing it on frontline as well. But currently all the bug reports i sent were frontline. Just tried renaming/deleting it as well, sent two separate bug reports with 'skinnycam' at the start. File is also uploaded.

Attachments

• arcademodeskinnycam.zip
    527 bytes · Views: 2

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
My bad for not mentioning it, but you probably have to disable the most fantastic invention ever: Steam cloud sync! I wish I could set it to be turned off by default since for most people it's just annoying.

Try going into the game properties in the Steam library, go to the Updates tab and uncheck the Steam cloud box at the bottom. After that's done, try deleting the arcademode.sav file again!

Thanks for the file! It confirmed my suspicions. Not sure why the name string was empty though. Did you fiddle around with the /name command by any chance? In either case, I'll add a safety check on texture creation that prevents the game from crashing even if someone manage to get a score with no name!

skinnycam

Green Slime
OHHHHHHHh, that game was the first time i tried using the /name function! It was my farthest run and i was trying to name myself 'ILove(girlfriendsnamehere)' because I bought the game for both of us, and wanted to make her surprised when she saw my name on (probably) rank 500. It wasn't really working, not changing my name at all in the menu and just left it as the name I chose at the beginning of my run.

It looks like it works perfectly now, and of course with my old arcade files all gone. If I just copy over the last ones, am I still going to get the error or should it work fine?

Thank you so much for the help Teddy! You guys are really fucking great! Keep up the hard work you and the team are putting into the game. I love this game so much!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I've attached a repaired save file where the name is "Cam" instead of nothing, but you'll have to use it on Frontline and it's not 100 % sure it will work even there since it's from our in-house version of the game. Even so, it's a better shot than your current absolutely not working save file!

Attachments

• arcademode_fixed.zip
    576 bytes · Views: 11

skinnycam

Green Slime
Also it works perfectly, accidentally ran it on the stable version so hopefully that doesn't cause any problems. Thank you for the help! Do you guys have a donate button anywhere where I can give you guys money?