Errors and stuff like that

Winstonowns

Green Slime
So I got this game, hoping to play it with a couple of buddies. But, to my dismay, the game will not start. Not through steam or direct application launching. I got no error message on steam, but this through direct application startup. upload_2016-7-7_21-40-51.png
This same error has happened with a few other games, including Stardew Valley, which I was unable to obtain a refund on. I have tried many solutions but to no avail. I'm at my wit's end, please help me.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That's a pretty weird error popup you got there! Not the standard Windows one. Not sure what that means!

Stardew Valley is also made with XNA, so it's likely something related to that, although perhaps not missing redist files.

Anyways, can you see any errors for the game in the Event Viewer? You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.

Winstonowns

Green Slime
That's a pretty weird error popup you got there! Not the standard Windows one. Not sure what that means!

Stardew Valley is also made with XNA, so it's likely something related to that, although perhaps not missing redist files.

Anyways, can you see any errors for the game in the Event Viewer? You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.
When I first saw this solution, i was hopeful, but when I went to start up the event viewer, I got this:upload_2016-7-8_14-30-16.png

res7less

Jumpkin
Have you tried updating your operating system and your video card drivers? It seems like something is a bit broken if a maintenance tool such as the Event Viewer crashes. You could also try to repair the system via Windows installer or Windows CD - it might get a bit difficult if you have never done that before, though.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
It wouldn't do any harm to run an antivirus scan if possible as well. If I've managed to lose an administrator account and access to a drive through them, there's no doubt they might be able to do this.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, something mysterious is definitely going on if the Event Viewer can't open! Perhaps the Microsoft Management Console is .NET based, or share some component with .NET, causing these errors. I did a cursory google search on the issue, and it seems most people that solved it had to do a OS reinstall... ugh.

Anyways, if the things suggested by res7less and G-Meister don't work, I'd recommend applying for a refund right away to maximize the chance of getting one. How come you didn't get one for Stardew Valley, by the way? I though refunds for games you hadn't played were pretty much automatic!

After being refunded, you can try the demo later down the line to see if some Windows update has repaired the issue before attempting to re-buy it.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
With Steam I think there's a 2 week window, so they may have just bought the game and then left it a while. Might be understandable if it was bought in a bundle or sale.

Winstonowns

Green Slime
Yeah, something mysterious is definitely going on if the Event Viewer can't open! Perhaps the Microsoft Management Console is .NET based, or share some component with .NET, causing these errors. I did a cursory google search on the issue, and it seems most people that solved it had to do a OS reinstall... ugh.

Anyways, if the things suggested by res7less and G-Meister don't work, I'd recommend applying for a refund right away to maximize the chance of getting one. How come you didn't get one for Stardew Valley, by the way? I though refunds for games you hadn't played were pretty much automatic!

After being refunded, you can try the demo later down the line to see if some Windows update has repaired the issue before attempting to re-buy it.
None of the solutions worked, I have been accepted for the refund, the money is pending. I could not get the refund on stardew because I tried to fix it for too long not realizing the 2 week period. I've decided a full OS reset would not really be possible with what I have on this computer, thank you for your quick response and help, same to the other posters on this thread.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
You can OS-reset without formatting your drive. There's an option when installing Windows to keep the old instalation and it will rename it to Windows.old. Also, Windows 10 has an option to delete Windows and all software, but keep user data. I used both of these options on one laptop and the most important files are still there.