Game Length and Questions on the Future

TheSpaniard

Green Slime
I'm really digging this game, but I would love to get to have a huge game to play with my created character from storymode. Much like the classic epics which Pixel Ferrets beautifully evokes. What are the chances that, if let's say if SoG is released and becomes very successful, that we will get a much more expansive story mode at some point; one that rivals the scope of Secret of Man, Link to the Past, and Chrono Trigger?

Or , would you go a different route?

Just curious, because the game's customizability is already amazing, so I would love to have it all stretched out for a huge epic coop storymode campaign! One can dream, yeah?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Secret of Man

This suddenly became very existential! :D

What are the chances that, if let's say if SoG is released and becomes very successful, that we will get a much more expansive story mode at some point

The story currently in the game is already written (on a macro level), so we can't really expand on that itself. Of course, the game could technically continue in the good ol' WoW expansion fashion ("and you wouldn't believe what threat came next!")

Since we don't know how the game will feel (or how we'll feel) when the story has been wrapped up, I can't give a definite answer, though!

Own

The developer of Defender's Quest found DQ so profitable that he's been polishing it up and expanding on it for a few years now. A few years back he added a free Gold Edition update due to all the sales the game had made, which was NG+ with a bunch of extra character developing side-quests, more spellbooks and a journal. Now he's updating it with a free HD Edition update, with polished up new graphics and more story content to find. For some reason sustained updates seem like they add a lot a game's sales lifespan.

Terraria's developer has been doing that too, with the recent1.3 update. So long as it remains profitable to continue developing the game, developers have incentives to keep pushing out content. :D Who knows, maybe if Pixel Ferrets makes huge bank on the game they'll have reason to keep working and add Ruby/Emerald Weapon-esque post-game challenge bossfights, or new gameplay modes like Seasoned Knights. :)

Of course, the game could technically continue in the good ol' WoW expansion fashion ("and you wouldn't believe what threat came next!")

If you guys do add more, I think it'd be nice if 'The End' of Story Mode was truly 'The End' of the story, so the actual endgame villain isn't invalidated by Sephiroth Mk 2 who drops in out of nowhere. Pokemon's true ending isn't capturing Mewtwo after all, that's just some fantastic extra content for those seeking a challenge. :D

TheSpaniard

Green Slime
This suddenly became very existential! :D

The story currently in the game is already written (on a macro level), so we can't really expand on that itself. Of course, the game could technically continue in the good ol' WoW expansion fashion ("and you wouldn't believe what threat came next!")

Since we don't know how the game will feel (or how we'll feel) when the story has been wrapped up, I can't give a definite answer, though!

Well, there are always avenues to make lateral movements, or side quest opportunities and meaningful extra content. I don't mean unnecessarily creating filler, but relevant stories that feed the main arc, and illustrate more of this wonderful tribute's world. The main character is a collecter, so I imagine his career should be a long one and filled with work, if our reflexes and intuition are good! And, while I admit I have only just reached Gun-d4m(i'm purporsefully taking it slow), your main arch can remain entact and with added substance between each points of the story. And grow into an epic proportioned game, ala those you evoke so beautifully in Chrono Trigger, Secret of ManA ;), and Link to the Past.

Again, I realize that you are a team of three, Pixel Ferrets, so take what I say as a grain of salt. But, as I said on an earlier post, a man can dream!