[Gameplay] Game refuses to start

Retni

Green Slime
Not sure what's happening here, really. Been playing Grindea just fine, not so much as a single crash since I started. Updated to the frontline patch last night, played arcade mode with a couple of friends, tried out the new singleplayer-craftable items, ran some more solo arcade mode later on (did the quests in the bar, if that's relevant), and now today the game won't even start up.

Steam loads it, my icon turns to in-game green, the process starts in task manager... and then after about four seconds it just dies. I've tried deleting all local content, tried moving the saves out of the folder in temp files, but reinstallation doesn't seem to help, and there's no error that pops up or anything.

Windows 7 x64 system, so I'm not running a particularly weird OS or anything.

AaronJY

Rabby
When you say it just dies, do you even get a dialog box telling you that there's "an issue with Secrets of Grindea and the program needs to quit" or something along those lines, or does it literally just close without giving you any kind of explanation? Usually, if Windows encounters an error, it'll throw some kind of explanation your way as to why the program failed so it could be the way SoG is dealing with an issue itself.

Have you removed your save data from AppData and tried running it again? (I know you've said that you've tried moving your saves out of the temp folder, but I just want to make sure you're referring to your AppData folder as 'temp folder' since they're both different locations) If not, here's what you need to do:
  1. Point your file browser to C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Secrets of Grindea
  2. Copy all of the content from there and paste in in a temporary directory on your desktop
  3. Delete everything from inside the 'AppData\Roaming\Secrets Of Grindea' folder
  4. Launch SoG through Steam as you usually would
  5. If it doesn't work, just throw the files you copied to your desktop back into 'AppData\Roaming\Secrets of Grindea'.
At least then we can rule out the possibility of corrupt save/config files.

Also, while you're in that folder, it might be helpful to attach your DebugLog.txt to your next post in case that sheds any light on why your game isn't working. I know it's strictly for non-crash-related errors but who knows! My game version hasn't crashed before so I'm not sure if a crash log is generated automatically in that folder too that stores information on why your game has crashed, so if you find anything else in that folder along those lines, attach it here too.

Sorry I can't be of much more help; it's as new to me as it is to you!

Retni

Green Slime
Oh. Yeah, I meant AppData. My bad. I cut all of that out of the folder and it still didn't help, which is really weird.

Basically I click start, either from steam, the shortcut, or the Gindea folder itself, the process starts, no window comes up at all, and then the process just ends.

AaronJY

Rabby
Oh. Yeah, I meant AppData. My bad. I cut all of that out of the folder and it still didn't help, which is really weird.

Basically I click start, either from steam, the shortcut, or the Gindea folder itself, the process starts, no window comes up at all, and then the process just ends.
That's....weird. You said you upgraded to the front-line version last night so perhaps the problem lies with the front-line version? Can you try switching back to the 'normal' version and then running it again if you've not done that already?

Retni

Green Slime
I also tried turning off the steam cloud sync, since it was just re-adding my save files when I started the game up. Still didn't do anything. Reinstalling it again to see what happens off of frontline mode.

Retni

Green Slime
Hrm... nothing.
This is really strange. As far as I can tell, my other games are working just fine, so it's not some huge issue with the system itself. Also restarted, just in case.

Retni

Green Slime
...And out of nowhere it suddenly worked. What the heck?
Closed steam, opened grindea, and it's... on?
I don't even. Now I'm just confused.

With the saves back in the folder, no less.

AaronJY

Rabby
Hrm... nothing.
This is really strange. As far as I can tell, my other games are working just fine, so it's not some huge issue with the system itself. Also restarted, just in case.
That's strange. I think it might be best to wait for School Flunkie to come to your rescue since he's the one behind the code. If it's not something to do with SoG though then I'm not really sure what else it could be, since (like I said) Windows usually gives you some kind of explanation if it encounters an error with the program.
...And out of nowhere it suddenly worked. What the heck?
Closed steam, opened grindea, and it's... on?
I don't even. Now I'm just confused.

With the saves back in the folder, no less.

Glorious :)

Retni

Green Slime
I still wonder what caused it, since I'd restarted steam a few times last night and that hadn't done a thing.

I blame internet demons.

AaronJY

Rabby
I still wonder what caused it, since I'd restarted steam a few times last night and that hadn't done a thing.

I blame internet demons.
Reverting back to the 'normal' version might have done it, though probably internet demons.

Retni

Green Slime
Well, I mean, I actually changed back to frontline, still worked.

I'm just confused now. It's like a case of restarting the router six times and then nothing happening until you call tech support and have them make you do it again, and suddenly you connect, making you feel like an idiot.

AaronJY

Rabby
Well, I mean, I actually changed back to frontline, still worked. I'm just confused now. It's like a case of restarting the router six times and then nothing happening until you call tech support and have them make you do it again, and suddenly you connect, making you feel like an idiot.

I believe it's called "Sod's Law" haha. At least it's fixed now anyway :)

Retni

Green Slime
And the problem seems to be back again after playing some more arcade mode tonight. Won't start, no errors, just a crash. Guess it's time to reinstall it again, but it seems like something's up, having to do this after each play session.

PapaPalpatine

Green Slime
has anyone found what causes this or how to actually fix it, I have been having this problem for 2 days now and would like to play.