[Gameplay] Negative stats in multiplayer

Kiara

Green Slime
Hello,

In multiplayer, I'm seeing an issue where the guest (non-host) occasionally loses a large number of stat points. It appears to occur when loading a new party-required zone, but I'm not sure what triggers the problem, as it's not every time. Certain stats can actually go negative when this occurs. So far I've seen negative crit and negative defense values. I've also had my MATK reduced, but never negative, and I've had the healing I receive from health orbs reduced (although my max HP remains intact).

When I experienced the bug, the missing healing appeared to be calculated as though I did not have my leg-slot item (Summer Greaves) equipped. However, that doesn't account for the missing MATK. When playing with some friends, one of them reported negative crit. Changing zones, even party-required zones, does not appear to fix the issue. Relogging into the game fixes the issue.

I'm not 100% sure it's related to equipment, but just in case, here is the equipment list I was using when I experienced the issue:

- Mystic Fan
- Thorn Worm Shield
- Robe of Energy
- Winter Mage Hat
- Larvarmband
- Larvarmband
- Summer Greaves
- Spinsect Feelers

Here's my equipment list my friend was using when he experienced the issue:

- Mystic Fan
- Winter's Guard
- Purple Kimono
- Summer Mage Hat
- Larvarmband
- Lightning Glove
- Summer Greaves
- Spinsect Feelers

We have Tenacious, Surgeon, and Intelligence maxed, which may be relevant since they affect those particular stats.

Note: I've NOT seen the problem occur in single-player or for the game host in multiplayer.

This issue is occurring on Stable. I have not tested Frontline.

Thank you!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the report!

Are any of you using weapons in quickslots? That is, switching between weapons via a quickslot rather than going into the menu!

Have you tried switching who's hosting the game?

Kiara

Green Slime
Hi Teddy,

I'm not using quickslots for weapons. I don't think my friends are either, but I'm not sure.

When we switch who is hosting the game, it seems that the host is immune to the problem. For example, if player A hosts, then players B and C sometimes experience it. If we switch to player B hosting, then player A will start experiencing it along with player C.

One more thing worth noting is that, in case it's card-related, we have all cards in the game.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Would you say this happens regardless of equipping new stuff, like if you're just farming for a while and then zoning? (Trying to eliminate possibilities here, as well as figuring out what I should do to replicate it myself!)

How long does it usually take before it happens? Could it trigger just from zoning a bunch of times?

Could it be related to leveling up, or has it happened even when no-one has gained a level?

(sorry for all the questions, it's okay if you can't answer :D )

Kiara

Green Slime
Yes, we've seen this happen without switching gear and without leveling. In one particular case yesterday, it occurred with crit rate for a player that did not change any gear and did not level from the time he joined the multiplayer game to the time the stat bug occurred. However, the host may have gained a level in that time -- I'm not sure about that.

Sometimes it only takes a few minutes; other times I've gone an hour or more without it happening.

It's possible that it's related to story progression somehow. I haven't seen it occur when playing in a game where the host has completed all current content, but I have seen it several times when progressing through content with someone else. My character has completed all current content, but the host has not.

Unfortunately I don't notice immediately when it occurs, because I'm not looking at my stat sheet all the time. Usually what tips me off is the reduced healing from healing orbs. I noticed it once shortly after the Winter fight, after I left Santa Fae. We also noticed it once in Tai Ming, starting a game right after entering Tai Ming proper (after the Priestess fight) and noticing it by the end of the Giant Thorn Worm fight. I don't suspect it's related to the boss fights themselves -- that's just how I remember where we were. I've also seen the bug show up in the Flying Fortress, but it was a few weeks ago so I don't recall any details.

We're planning to play again tonight (excited about the new skills/talents/bows/potions in Stable!) so I'll see if we can figure out a little more info then.

*Edit: glad to answer any questions btw... I know how time-consuming it can be to track down bugs >.< I really like this game and am glad to help where I can, even if it's just a little info on a bug!

Last edited:

Kiara

Green Slime
I played with the same group of people over the weekend and we defeated the mimic right away, then proceeded to play for several more hours. This bug didn't come up once. I more strongly suspect it's related to story progression now. Is there a way to manipulate which quests a file has completed for more focused testing?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Is there a way to manipulate which quests a file has completed for more focused testing?

Not easily, right now, although you can at least reset the Tai Ming quest arc by typing /taimingreset in the chat! (The host should probably do this alone before others connect to avoid desync issues)