[Gameplay] Retrieving IP crash

lamminhnam

Green Slime
We was using the beta v0.56g and hosting the game normally, then we tried to use beta v0.56h, me and my friends connected through steam but it was too laggy, so we changed to ad hoc network and steam offline, when someone host the game, the host retrieving IP for about 10 sec then the game crash, we tried on all 4 pc and it's crash the same way ... now we can't play offline any more :(

Hobo

Rabby
It's because it queries the internet to retrieve your external IP Address, you can use your local IP address to allow others behind the same router as you to join a game even if you are connected to the internet. The site it uses is checkip.dyndns.com, so if that goes down, you wont be able to host a game without spoofing the IP resolving website locally(HOSTS file and a basic web server ) and replying with a format that wont crash the game when it doesn't find what it expected.

lamminhnam

Green Slime
sooooo ... i can't play offline using the beta v0.56h ? i'm not really an expert in internet IP and stuff ... is there anyway i can play offine again with my friends using this version ?

Hobo

Rabby
Essentially without any intervention to how the game operates externally, no, the host will require to be connected to the internet ( it's a technicality with a crash and I am sure they will fix this, but for the mean time, you will just have to be connected so it can try and find your external IP address, even if you don't use it! )

You can connect locally to host, I don't understand why you would turn the internet off to stop lagging, but I understand not everyone can always be connected to the internet and hindering a players experience is exactly what this bug does, i'm sure it will be fixed.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Why are you playing v0.56h?Unless you've pirated the game that shouldn't be possible since the DRM-free version is 0.56g and both Steam versions are now 0.56j. The IP check after 0.56h has error handling to prevent what you're describing.

lamminhnam

Green Slime
I don't know, i just let the steam auto update i when the game crash i report it, actually it happened for a while ago and just now i report it along with the arcade mode bug
Thx for your answer btw Hobo :)

Why are you playing v0.56h?Unless you've pirated the game that shouldn't be possible since the DRM-free version is 0.56g and both Steam versions are now 0.56j. The IP check after 0.56h has error handling to prevent what you're describing.

Busted!