Grindea at AGDQ2017

JamesKT

Boar
So it's come to my attention that Secrets of Grindea has the potential of being ran at AGDQ2017 by Ivan & Mr_Weables in an Arcade Co-op Category.

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list
https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list
Honestly I have a few issues with this. Normally I would be happy that the game is getting ran but the issues I have are simply that the game isn't even close to done at this point and Arcade hasn't had an update in a long time. The last zone in Arcade is still Temple of Seasons right? The last story zone is Mount Bloom?

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this whole thing as a Story mode Runner.

Own

Hey, it'll get it more publicity. Why not? Just make sure they designate the game as being in beta, incomplete.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Well 1) an arcade run in 30 minutes? Geesh my tank strategy is slow.

2) I'm with James on this one. The only reason I see in speedrunning Grindea at the moment is to have the practice for when it's fully released. I understand many games these days have bug fixing updates quite regularly, but those games are ones with all their content in and a bug fix in only likely to affect glitched runs. Seen as the devs are currently focusing on getting content out and not fixing bugs or balancing, I don't think this will give people a representative view of the game. If 24 floors are planned for arcade and we only have 12 currently, people are only seeing half of what the mode will have to offer, let alone all the bug fixes and balancing that's yet to be done. I have no idea how popular AGDQ is, but I'd assume it's quite a big thing. This little of the game to this large of an audience just feels wrong.

Also, Arcade is a secondary mode, and I've shown you the figures for how well people do at it. It's bloody difficult man! My gut feeling is people are gonna see the speedrun, go buy it, try Arcade for an hour or so, ragequit and leave more negative reviews on Steam. I guess most people get it for the story so the current figures are for a different sort of gamer, but still.

Don't get me wrong, free publicity is great - but not now.

P.S. This'll probably be my only contribution to this, or the whole forum for a while. Hand pains are being resolved slowly, and I'll hopefully be back as soon as they're better. But for now, adios.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I don't mind it being run but perhaps we should ask the runners if they've made it clear to the AGDQ-crew that the game is in Early Access! I don't know what their stance is on doing speedruns on incomplete games.

And if it is fine by the organizers, as Own said we'd want the runners to mention the game's unfinished state and Arcade Mode's relation to Story Mode so the viewers don't get confused!

One of them already contacted Fred to ask some questions so getting these things across shouldn't be hard.

Hand pains are being resolved slowly, and I'll hopefully be back as soon as they're better. But for now, adios.

Get well soon, dude!

knox

Green Slime
I don't mind it being run but perhaps we should ask the runners if they've made it clear to the AGDQ-crew that the game is in Early Access! I don't know what their stance is on doing speedruns on incomplete games.

And if it is fine by the organizers, as Own said we'd want the runners to mention the game's unfinished state and Arcade Mode's relation to Story Mode so the viewers don't get confused!

One of them already contacted Fred to ask some questions so getting these things across shouldn't be hard.
Hi, Teddy. Big fan of the game so far!
I'm glad that you're as excited as I am to see this at a GDQ! I'm hoping that some of the people who see the run will be persuaded to support the game.

Just wanted to voice my opinion of running arcade mode since it seems to be muddled with some concerns from other fans of the game. I did runs and races with Weables and Ivan in every way possible (solo, 2p co-op, 3p co-op, etc) and have had a blast learning different things and routing different strategies! Arcade is ridiculously intense when you die in 3-4 hits from certain things.

There might be people who dislike running a game that is in Early Access, but I'm positive GDQ has nothing against it (though it might sway some of the Games Committee to put something in over it). For instance, A Hat in Time beta was in AGDQ 2016, so they are fine with it. I'm sure Weables, Ivan, or the couch commentators will mention that the game isn't finished yet, and will explain the difference between Arcade and Story mode.

Don't get me wrong, free publicity is great - but not now.
Just to address your first point:
Yeah, the Hot Hands (Flame Thrower) and Buff Guy (Frosty Friend) strategy allowed us to push times lower and lower. It is ridiculously efficient to use those skills in combination with some good passives. I think Ivan and Weables and I all have times around 20-25 minute Solo run with this, it's crazy.

Now, it seems that the general opinion is that running the story is better than the arcade? Sure it's a completely different playstyle, as Arcade mode is pretty much a rouguelike, but surely people will know there is a Story mode when it is presented to them in the main menu. I doubt that people will be so harsh on a game instantly after they "ragequit".

Adding 20 minutes of cutscenes and text that will be skipped and mashed through is no different than skipping it entirely by running Arcade mode, so your concerns of only seeing "this little of the game" shouldn't be that extreme really. It seems somewhat silly to say that "free publicity just isn't good right now" doesn't it? The devs have put TONS of time into this game, so showing hundreds of thousands of people the game will only create interest in what Secrets of Grindea has to offer. Seems like a good thing to me :>

Hope you enjoy the run at AGDQ!

Own

I did runs and races with Weables and Ivan in every way possible (solo, 2p co-op, 3p co-op, etc)

This made me load up the game for the first time in forever and check the high scores.

Apparently a new group has beaten 4P Arcade, making that... two groups that have. Was that yours?

JamesKT

Boar
Well I did say originally that I had mixed feelings. Also I completely forgot A Hat In Time was actually in a run and that game's still in development... I'm just sad I won't personally be able to go to AGDQ2017 otherwise I would probably provide couch commentary as a Story Mode runner.

Do want to say as kinda off-topic thing as something I've been meaning to do, Grindea has been updated on speedrun.com to include Arcade Mode & Co-Op Arcade. 100% has been removed since currently it's unreasonable unless the devs specifically add a Speedrun mode to give Arcade drop rates in Story(Just a thought ;]).

Last edited: