How to make an effective magic build.

Own

Most people I see complain about magic because it's slower than it's melee counterpart, but magic has MUCH larger burst potential than melee does.

Most of it's Talents are highly situational and difficult to make use of, especially compared to Melee or General. Almost all of them have a requirement attached to them, there's no straight up +MagicChargeSpeed, no +EPRegenAfterCastingASpell, no +EnergyRegainOnKillingAnEnemyWithASpell (for grinding), or pretty much anything that would make for sustained magic casting build. Though I believe we're getting more than 10 talents per field in the future, thankfully. :) So maybe those might make the cut.

But for now, you have one particularly useful Talent:

Manaburn - If your EP is under 50%, gain+10-30% magic damage.

It might be tempting to sink 5 talent points for +10% permanent magic damage, but Manaburn is 3 talent points for +30% magic damage in specific situation. And that situation is that you're casting magic. When are you casting magic? All the time. :p

So for 3 talent points, after your first few volleys of that spell that does 200 damage, you're doing 260 damage per cast so low as you keep your EP from regenerating too high. Mix in some Energy Potions to supercharge your EP Regen and you'll be able to spam high-damage fireballs, earthspikes or frostnovas like crazy.

Start off with Manaburn in the Arcade and you'll be able to burst down the first few floors pretty handily with EarthSpike. Then you can work towards the basic +2% Magic Damage skill.

Magic is already pretty nifty, all it needs is a talent update to get some good things to make it easier to build up as one to be completely on par with 1-hander and 2-hander skill builds. :)

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
In my current Hard Story Mode run I use Flamethrower with the Talent that boosts Magic Damage after a Perfect Block. The damage boost combined with the mobility is an awesome combo. Only downside is that bosses don't let you Perfect Block much. Even if it's not as quick at killing bosses as any Melee is it's still a very strong build. I recommend trying it out. :D