I like how the $20 hat has become something of a badge of shame.

Own

Because every pirated version of SoG comes with it. :D If someone is Russian and is wearing the hat, 9 times out of 10 (if not 10 out of 10) they've pirated the game. There's probably more pirates with the hat than there are people who genuinely bought it.

I remember a while back I saw SoG streaming on Twitch and noticed it was a Russian dude with his entire party of 4 wearing the hat. They were really blatant about pirating it, though. :p

At least the pirates will be forced to use IP / Hamachi instead of Steam connectivity, I guess.

Now I'm happy that I'm such a greedy bastard and only spent 15$ :X

At least the pirates will be forced to use IP / Hamachi instead of Steam connectivity, I guess.

Thats actually quite interesting. If the plan is to release the full game on steam (and only on steam) anyway, connecting via IP as an option could be dropped completely, as most people would connect via steam anyway... except for pirates.

Own

Thats actually quite interesting. If the plan is to release the full game on steam (and only on steam) anyway, connecting via IP as an option could be dropped completely, as most people would connect via steam anyway... except for pirates.

It's never a good idea to change your game in an attempt to screw with pirates. Especially since connect via IP is still good, since it's connection isn't reliant on Steam's servers not kicking the bucket. I assume the packets go from You -> Steam -> Host and Host -> Steam -> You, rather than You -> Host / Host -> You, which might add slightly more of a delay too?

Sogomn

Rabby
I've deleted the mail, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I've bought the Jumpkin tier but I haven't got the soundtrack an neither the documentation.

Own

Your Humble Bundle account page should show you everything you've bought, and at what tier.

Sogomn

Rabby
Aaah! There we go. Looks like I've even bought the Snowbacca tier. Found the soundtrack aswell. I guess the documentation is not finished yet since the game isn't either.

garish gnome

Green Slime

Except there's also a DRM free version, and plenty of people who won't use Steam. The developers would be screwing over everyone that bought the game to play multiplayer without it.

If you build your games to screw over pirates, you're more than likely going to be affecting legitimate players too. That should never be acceptable. There are also quite often circumstances for piracy (which can often lead to legitimate purchases as well). Demonizing people for doing so is just stupid.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
As for the hat being a badge of shame, well... hopefully those who bought it mostly did so while thinking "man, $15 is a bit too cheap, I'll pitch in with some more!" rather than "holy hell just $5 for a sweet hat just for me???" :D