Mac Compatibility?

Macgregory

Green Slime
I tried the demo on a wine-runned steam, and I would buy the game if it had Mac compatibility. Can we make that a thing?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I think Teddy said that they'll maybe make a Mac version after the game is fully released for Windows so there won't be any Mac support for a while. :/

ark626

Hmm since Mac is somehow close to Linux there is a chance that you are able to get it running.
In the forums there was some trying around till we got it running on Linux.

Maybee there is an analoge way to run it on Mac

Haxial

Green Slime
I would suggest dual booting Windows/OSX (assuming you like OSX - personally I would just format your HDD and install Windows). Or, you could build a badass computer and install Windows on it.

In all seriousness, though, I wouldn't recommend running either OSX or Linux as your primary gaming operating system. You're always going to run into more issues if you use one of theses operating systems as your primary for gaming. Regardless of the differences in the environment between Windows and OSX from a programming perspective, the marketplace is always going to support Windows before everything else because this is where the money is. It would save you the hassle in the future if you started to migrate over to Windows now.

I'm speaking from experience as a long time computer gamer, as an electronics technician, as a former computer technician, and as a pastime programmer.

Last edited:

ark626

@Haxial Sorry but as for how far i know there is no way to dual boot Mac with Windows.
Only posibility is to run a VM inside Mac with Windows.
But as far as i know it is no trivial thing to install Windows on a Mac, because the architecture is different etc.

But the way via VM ware would be a way to run the game on mac.

Haxial

Green Slime
You're absolutely correct that it would not be an easy task, but it is doable. I've dual booted OSX/Windows by request for customer's when I was working as a computer technician. Running Windows in a VM would be a much easier task, although, still not necessarily optimal for gaming depending on the configuration. I would still recommend running a full Windows computer. Even if you dedicate almost all of the processor and RAM to your virtual operating system you would be increasing your margin for error given that your host machine will need a specific amount of operating power and this can vary depending on your computer and what software and background processes are running on the machine at that time. For optimal gaming performance you would likely have a better experience, in the long run, choosing not to run on a VM.

With that being said, VMs are more optimized now then they have been and if you're not willing to make an OS switch then VM might be your best option.

ark626

Yeah :D I also prefere windows PC'S because of the incompability to certain games.

Also i think the odds that SoG runs (somehow) on mac arent bad, it is best played on Windows ;)