Making the two support skills fun again.

IHeartPie

Halloweed
I think part of the problem with the current support skills is that they are too invisible. Yeah, you get a visual upgrade, and yeah, the buff icon appears, but it doesn't FEEL useful. More of a time-limited talent than a spell.

Suggestion for haste:

Change it to buffing an area. Imagine having a character setting up a base of operations for all characters to stand on that increases DPS. This facilitates teamwork and makes for some cool team-boss take down strategies. Since it's limited to an area [and should probably have low duration], you can make it so that the buff it gives is worthwhile [instead of the barely felt speed up it has now].

Quick cast -> Yourself Atk/Cast Speed Up [5s]
Bronze -> Yourself Atk/Cast/Movement Speed Up [5s] [Good for speed running]
Silver -> Small area [half of gigaslime for scale] Atk/Cast/Movement Speed Up [7s]
Gold -> Small area Atk/Cast/Movement Speed/Energy Recovery Up [7s]

Suggestion for protect:

Auto Perfect Guard. Instead of defense, which is something you shouldn't need at all if you're good at the game, you should make it a defense that's worthwhile defensively and offensively. Imagine casting this, letting a helloweed swipe you, then countering with an instant silver heroic slam. No more worrying about having to shield and time right, just maximize dps. Pros can use this to rush certain rooms, noobs can use this until they master perfect guard. Caveat being that it only works on attacks from the front, obviously.

Quick cast -> Yourself Perfect Guard next attack [3s] - No bonus
Bronze -> Yourself Perfect Guard next attack [3s] - Crit/Silver Charge bonus
Silver -> Small area Perfect Guard next 2 attack [5s] - Crit/Silver Charge bonus
Gold -> Create a small Sanctuary that Perfect Guards up to 10 attacks going towards it - No bonus

PS. I added small bonuses to Silver because I don't want people playing single player to be like: "Oh, there's no point in me silver charging because I don't need AoE."

Own

The problem with making support skills super amazing is that if you make them too good, suddenly you have to balance the game around them. In Arcade they're super useful as a secondary skill for pre-casting before your next room, but in Story Mode they are just there as a 'attack faster / survive better'.

I'm not sure how I feel about them. I know the developers were considering removing them outright.

I'm 1000% against anything that guarantees you a perfect guard, though. That's like having an item in Super Mario RPG give you a timed hit every single time. :( It's meant to be a skill-based bonus for those who take the time to know when to block. People would have no reason to learn when to perfect guard if the game did it for them.

I wouldn't necessarily mind a support skill that increased the window of perfect guards by 5-10-15%, though.