New ? room designs.

Own

Teddy said new ? rooms were coming in, I thought these might be fun / annoying to bash through in Arcade. :)

upload_2015-10-6_10-11-32.png

Enter room, consider if it's worth running through this gauntlet to get to a couple of chests at the end or leave if not. Bash apart the mini-Toy Machine to stop the shooters. How much potential damage is worth some chests?

Alternatively, the room could be timed instead and the shooters do 0 damage, just knocking you back. Fail to get to the end in time and the conveyer belt moves too fast to possibly get to the chests.

upload_2015-10-6_10-12-49.png

Enter room, three golf balls are nearby and three holes randomly spread around the room, with other obstacles peppered about. Press Attack in this room to bring up the Festival Strength Contest bar, press it again to swing at a ball and launch it outwards based on your position + strength. Ball can bounce off obstcacles, but also rolls, so you want it to come to a stop on the holes to fall in. Get a reward for each ball that falls in the holes, but you only have # swings to do so.

I'd personally have fun with both of these. :D

George

Green Slime
Not sure if rooms have to fit on a single screen for arcade mode or not, but it could be cool to have a sort of labyrinth of phase plates (from the flying temple). Have to beat the timer to get to the treasure at the end. Or maybe push 3 buttons in the correct order.

phase_maze.png

Add mirrors to the mix and you can get some pretty sweet puzzles.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
The ? should contain something unique, that doesn't fall into another category. Some of ideas posted here would fit challenge rooms, because they have puzzles and battles already.

Things that could appear are:
-fishing
-unique minigames (golf may be one of them, but chicken herding or bullet hell for example aren't)
-special objects, like buff/risk shrines or some teleports
-trap room, where you are swarmed by more and stronger enemies than normally
-surprise (any other type of room, so you don't know what you enter in)

Also something I probably suggested already, but it would be nice if chest rooms also got some variants, like the chest could be mimic, or it would be guarded or there were few chests and you have to choose or open as many as you can in given time etc.

George

Green Slime
What KoBeWi said makes sense. I suppose my suggestion falls more into one of the challenge rooms.

Another potential concept for the ? room is that you can get a pet in one of them. A single enemy is in the room as well as the item that can be used to tame the enemy. If you're able to tame the pet before the timer runs out (similar to fishing), you earn that pet which comes with some bonus stats (already leveled up). Not sure how multiple pets would play out though...