Secrets of Grindea Wineskin Port for Mac: Release

Omegampyre

Green Slime
Recently, I purchased the game and wanted to play it on my laptop, which happens to be a MacBook Pro. I made a post inquiring on if there was a Wineskin wrapper for the game. The general consensus was that Mac and Linux were unlikely to have much support until the game became more exposed. However, after doing some research and looking at wrappers for other games, I managed to devise a wrapper that works. The steps below will help other Mac users who are also looking to play the game.

1) Install Wineskin on your computer if it isn't already
2) Download the wrapper I have provided. It includes none of the game files, so you need to get these yourself, either by downloading them on a Windows computer and transferring them over, or running the setup.exe file that you can obtain after purchasing the game.
3) If you are using a setup.exe file, first double click the wrapper. It will have a button to install software. Locate the setup.exe file, and after the game has installed, select the Secrets of Grindea.exe file to run.
4) Alternatively, if you have the files already, move or copy the folder inside, and select the Secrets of Grindea.exe file to run when Wineskin asks you to.
5) You may have to hide your dock, the window might not be able to fit on the screen completely. I have not been able to get fullscreen to work yet, but I will do further testing and make an edit with my findings.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fgc14h0ip5hfcpg/Secrets_of_Grindea.zip

*As this is a wrapper, you cannot run experimental versions of Secrets of Grindea, only the stable, non-Steam, versions may be run*

*NO GAME FILES ARE INCLUDED IN THIS WRAPPER, YOU STILL NEED TO PURCHASE THE GAME FOR YOURSELF*

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
As this is a wrapper, you cannot run experimental versions of Secrets of Grindea, only the stable, non-Steam, versions may be run (frontline)*
Why did you put "(frontline)" at the end? Shouldn't it be "(not frontline)"? You can only play the frontline version if you're using steam and you're saying that this only works for the non-steam alternative, right?

Last edited:

Omegampyre

Green Slime
[QUOTE="Omegampyre, post: 10611, member: 6010"*As this is a wrapper, you cannot run experimental versions of Secrets of Grindea, only the stable, non-Steam, versions may be run (frontline)*
Why did you put "(frontline)" at the end? Shouldn't it be "(not frontline)"? You can only play the frontline version if you're using steam and you're saying that this only works for the non-steam alternative, right?[/QUOTE]
My mistake, its 3:00 A.M. for me, and I just typed this out quick before going to sleep ^_^

chiotti

Green Slime
I downloaded the wrapper and Wineskin and have the game purchased, but can you please explain how to find the setup.exe that I am supposed to have access to now? If not, I suppose I could whip out my ancient laptop and download the game, transfer the files from to USB then put them onto my mac in the correct places.

BluSprinks

Green Slime
Alright, I'm not sure how long it will take for anyone to get this but I've followed all of the instructions and I can't get the program to run. I used the "download game files from windows and transferred to mac" method...

Asphod

Green Slime
The game dies as soon as the game is launched :(
I chose the second option, a friend of mine gave me the files

Sheedy

Green Slime
There are a couple of more steps. This is what worked for me:
  1. Download the necessary software: Wineskin Winery, the EXE file, the wrapper http://www.mediafire.com/download/fgc14h0ip5hfcpg/Secrets_of_Grindea.zip
  2. Run Wineskin Winery and update everything to the latest (engine and wrapper). As of right now, the engine is WS9Wine2.2 and wrapper is Wineskin 2.6.2
  3. Unzip and run the wrapper.
  4. Click "Advanced" then "Tools"
  5. Click "Update Wrapper," wait until it is done
  6. Click "Change Engine" and choose the latest version, hit "OK." Wait til done
  7. (might be optional) click on "Config Utility", change Windows Version to Windows 10
  8. Click "Install software" and find the EXE file that you downloaded from Humble Bundle
  9. When it's done installing, choose the Secrets of Grindea.exe file from the dropdown menu
  10. Now it should work fine by double clicking the wrapper.
  11. If you ever want to update settings, you can always right click the wrapper, click Show Package Contents, and run Wineskin to update settings.