Similar Games

Honeydew

Green Slime
I know there have been threads on this in the past but I'm looking for a rpg almost identical to this one. The art style, the combat, the quest system, the leveling... Don't get me wrong Secrets of Grindea is an awesome game, but it does get a little boring after three full play through's.

Enoen

Rabby
Never heard of Terranigma, Illusion of time, or Secrets of Evermore.

Time to beat those games.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Each of those is similar and is still different enough to either win you over or chase you off.

Terranigma has a really strong start and ending. Also nice music and, if you ask me, the best SNES visuals.

Illusion of Time or Illusion of Gaia ( US name) is like an education in our worlds mysteries. Tower of Babel? Check! Ankor Wat? Check! and so on. From sunken continents to actual ruins. If you ever visit a location ingame, you can google it and will find a real life mystery.

Secret of Evermore has one hell of a twist at the end that most people never realized because they either stopped playing or were so sucked in that they forgot how it began.

If you play and finish(or drop) either of those, let us talk about them.

A-Jay

Green Slime
Seiken Densetsu 3. Has drop in/out co-op if the 2nd player presses start. You'll need to track down a rom and an emulator for snes.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
There's also Soul Blazer. It has fun "rebuild the world" thing.
And Brain Lord, but I haven't actually played it so I don't know how much is it similar :p

Enoen

Rabby
And Brain Lord, but I haven't actually played it so I don't know how much is it similar :p
Rebuild the world thing? I'm really into completing games like this and besides Secrets of Grindea I have nothing on my playlist...Steam is disappointing me.

Trees of Savior is somewhat similar^^
What's it about? ^^ I like the name.

Hyperlord

Rabby
Each of those is similar and is still different enough to either win you over or chase you off.

Terranigma has a really strong start and ending. Also nice music and, if you ask me, the best SNES visuals.

Illusion of Time or Illusion of Gaia ( US name) is like an education in our worlds mysteries. Tower of Babel? Check! Ankor Wat? Check! and so on. From sunken continents to actual ruins. If you ever visit a location ingame, you can google it and will find a real life mystery.

Secret of Evermore has one hell of a twist at the end that most people never realized because they either stopped playing or were so sucked in that they forgot how it began.

If you play and finish(or drop) either of those, let us talk about them.

Oh my gosh what a beautiful summary!
I felt almost the same back in those days, great to have one here who loved those games as much as I did.

Yuuki

Boar
What's it about? ^^ I like the name.
It's an mmorpg by the original creator of ragnarok online who left the company around the time Samsung kinda took then over due conflicts about Ragnarok.

The game first closed beta outside of Korea was active until a few days ago.

Here is an Japanese trailer which I think is the best trailer of it so far.

Offizial site: treeofsavior.com
Fansite: tosbase.com

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time/Gaia and Terranigma are a trilogy of games which are known as the Soul Blazer Trilogy.
If you play one of those and like it, I really recommend checking out the others as well.
You should keep in mind that Soul Blazer is the first entry in that trilogy and is therefor missing some of the features and is less refined. So if you want to start somewhere and know you would hate to go to a less refined game, you should start with SB then move to Illusion of Time and finish with Terranigma.

Never heard of [...] Secrets of Evermore.

Secret of Evermore was a very niche game which was produced in the US and never released in Japan. It's gameplay and graphics are in the likeness of Secret of Mana but a lot darker.
The biggest differences between SoM and SoE are the "magic" system and the multiplayer.

The alchemy system in Evermore doesn't use mana, but resources, which can be gathered or bought. But those spells can still be leveled, which is a problem as you have to grind resources to train your spell. In SoM you could just visit and INN and pay with the money you gathered from the slayed monsters.

SoM featured 3 player coop where, when playing alone, up to 2 characters were controlled by the ai. SoE in contrast has only 1 ai companion (which is a shape shifting dog). The player can chose which character to control but there no multipalyer component. Singleplayer only.

PS: There is a bigger difference but I'd also like to recommend the Y's games.

Yuuki

Boar
Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time/Gaia and Terranigma are a trilogy of games which are known as the Soul Blazer Trilogy.
If you play one of those and like it, I really recommend checking out the others as well.
You should keep in mind that Soul Blazer is the first entry in that trilogy and is therefor missing some of the features and is less refined. So if you want to start somewhere and know you would hate to go to a less refined game, you should start with SB then move to Illusion of Time and finish with Terranigma.
well to be more precise, its not an triology but a quintology --> Quintet quintology.
Act Raiser 1 --> Soul Blazer --> Act Raiser 2 --> Ilusion of Gaia/Time --> Terranigma. (not sure if gaia/time or AC 2 was released first.
You also could count the medicore Granstream Saga but most wont to do it since it wasnt under the name quintet anymore.

And yeah Evermore was a funny thing, Square Usa wanted to bring over Seiken Densestu 3 aka Sercet of Mana 2 to the west, weren allowed to due the snes being outphased by the n64 slowly. Square Usa said fuck it, used some assets from Secret of Mana (mostly the gameplay mechanics) and created there first and only game. Secret of Evermore.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
well to be more precise, its not an triology but a quintology --> Quintet quintology.
Act Raiser 1 --> Soul Blazer --> Act Raiser 2 --> Ilusion of Gaia/Time --> Terranigma. (not sure if gaia/time or AC 2 was released first.
Did not know about the Act Raiser being part of that. I only knew of them as a trilogy.

Yuuki

Boar
Did not know about the Act Raiser being part of that. I only knew of them as a trilogy.
the triology/quintology is very lose the game are only considered so due the similar concept of Death and Rebirth of an world.

The Worlds maps are also quite interesting in Blazer, Gaia/Time, Terra.
  • Soul Blazer = one big continent, nothing more = Pangea
    • also you are a Arch Angel of God who fights against a Devil from the Earth Core, yet the Stage is more of an Space World.
  • Illusion of Gaia/Time = serveral continents, almost real world but some missing = middle Ages
    • You where a by Gaia chosen human and fight against an Evil from Space.
  • Terranigma = Complete Map of Earth = Modern Times
    • You are basicly God/Jesus who fights against a Evil from the Inner world, yet again very Space like End "Dungeon".

Last edited:

Ren

Green Slime
Illusion of Time/Gaia was so good! I remember quite fondly playing it on my SNES in my youth. I'll have to check out the other titles though.