Skills: Charges not on every skill

Laki

Green Slime
First I want to say that I love the fact that skills have tiers, and the differing tiers alter the skills in a meaningful manner (and not just +1% damage, or something similar). I hope the tiers are here to stay.

That being said, I really think that having to charge (and by that, I mean hold down the skill button) every skill is very disruptive for a smooth and responsive game play experience.

For example, I don't think skills like piercing dash, fireball, or berserker style should require any charge time. I think you could keep the mechanic of holding the skill until released for aiming purposes, but the highest rank of the skill should always be fired off. If a user wants to cast a lower rank of a skill (for mana cost reasons, I suppose), then perhaps users could equip the lower rank skill specifically to a quick slot.

The reason for this (in my opinion) would be to maintain fast paced game play. I think the current game engine feels amazing - block canceling, movement, and skill release all feel very responsive. The only mechanic which doesn't feel fluid to me is the need to constantly hold and release every skill. I should also note that I'm not looking for unlimited skill spam. I believe the mana costs should still be restrictive enough that skills aren't being spammed over and over again (I think mana costs are currently at a good point).

I think charging some skills works great. For example, charging meteor works fantastically. I love the feel of building a huge meteor to drop on enemies. Whirlslash feels the same to me, and dodging strike works great as well (although, that is a little different since the first button press fires off right away). I'm just not sold that every skill needs to be a charged skill.

Schattenphoenix

Green Slime
I agree with some buffs and their charges feeling pointless from time to time but i dont agree with skills like fireball or piercing dash.
Especially cause the time is so short, it doesnt matter much.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I think the Shadow Clone is a skill that don't really need to be charged as you would close to never activate it during a fight and therefore the charging don't really have an impact on combat. The only usefull thing about the charging is that you can spend all your silver points on it and then only use the bronze or normal charge (if you wanted to, but I don't really see a point in doing that). All the other skills though should keep the charging IMO as they have more of an impact on combat.