Suggestion - Full controller support.

havefeith

Green Slime
I currently own a Logitech 10-button (14-ish, if you include each analog stick and d-pad as their own buttons, and including a "mode" button) controller that I want to play Secrets of Grindea with, but when I tried to select it for use in the options, there was no option for it. I know for certain that an XBox 360 controller is supported (by way of watching Kim from the Yogscast play this), so why general controller support isn't available, I haven't the foggiest. I can't afford buying an Xbox 360 controller (60+ dollars for one, Canadian + taxes!), so I've always had to make due with the 20-some dollar controller I've bought.

So, in short, my suggestion is to make full controller support available. I know it's feasible because my Game Dev college course used the same controller that I have to learn coding controllers with. So I'm pretty sure there's a devkit out there that has a library for it, and said devkit is free.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
There have been some controller support discussion going on over here in this thread: http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/i...a-gamepad-joytokey-other-tools.143/#post-5758

They mainly talk about ways that you can make your current controller work with the game without the game actually supporting your controller. JoyToKey is one of the programs you could use to make your controller work with the game. It's not as good as the game actually supporting your controller but it should work just fine. :)

havefeith

Green Slime
See, the thing is, Martimus, that is not full controller support. That is spoofing an Xbox controller, and thus counter to what I suggested. I did suggest full controller support, rather than partial support like we have. That devkit I was talking about before has a library in it that supports both the generic controllers and the name brand controllers (well, maybe not the Sony or Nintendo controllers). But anyways, If there is an admin reading this thread, I would like to request that you lock it, as I'm not going to say any more on the controller front. The only person (or people) I would like to see answering this thread are the devs of the game. I'd rather not have someone rude answer. I apologize if that seems counter to what I have already said, but I do try to keep civil.

Martimus

Green Slime
See, the thing is, Martimus, that is not full controller support. That is spoofing an Xbox controller, and thus counter to what I suggested. I did suggest full controller support, rather than partial support like we have. That devkit I was talking about before has a library in it that supports both the generic controllers and the name brand controllers (well, maybe not the Sony or Nintendo controllers). But anyways, If there is an admin reading this thread, I would like to request that you lock it, as I'm not going to say any more on the controller front. The only person (or people) I would like to see answering this thread are the devs of the game. I'd rather not have someone rude answer. I apologize if that seems counter to what I have already said, but I do try to keep civil.

???

Nobody has been rude to you in this thread as far as I can see. I certainly was not being rude. I was trying to help, and I got met with snark and condescension.

GarlicJelly

Nobody has said that your suggestion is bad and since Martimus has also said that he was not meaning for his comment to be rude I don't think we have to find a way to lock the thread from further posts. I'm sorry if our suggestions to use a third party program to solve the current state of the controller support were offending you. We were just trying to be helpful. I'm sure the devs will take a look at this suggestion and discuss the matter. Maybe they have something planned already. I'm not a part of the dev team and I don't speak for them but I can always say my own opinion and my guess is that if they are adding full controller support, and it's not already in the workings then, it's most likely to be planned for closer to the full release of the game. The reason why I think that is because they don't need the full controller support to progress the beta testing of the game, which leads me to the conclusion that it has low priority and will be dealt with later.

I, once again, apologise if my pervious comment was offending you. We meant no harm. :)

havefeith

Green Slime
See, the thing is, by suggestion something to me to "fix" it, you've technically gone off topic. That's why I wanted to lock the thread. I wasn't intending to be rude myself, but to be honest, over the internet, almost anything could be considered differently than intended. The part I was considering rude was the fact that essentially, you guys thought it was a quick fix, but the thing is, I'd rather not install anything that A) doesn't work with windows 10, because that's my OS, and b) I'm kinda leery of my antivirus considering the installer for said things that might not be W10 compatible as being viruses, and thus void the entire set up. I'm pretty sure if the program "hooks" into a process, it's considered malware by my antivirus. I'm using Ad-Aware, by the way. It's the only free antivirus that hasn't snook in extra stuff in the update, and then expecte me to pay, and MalwareBytes went Pay-only, with a 30 day trial. I basically want assurances that I'm not going to get a virus, and that it's not going to be picked up as a false positive. Those are a real pain to get an exclusion for.

Anyways, I apologize if I came across as rude, but I'm also operating on less sleep than I have in over 2 years. I mean, the last time I had this little amount of sleep was at least two years ago, not that I haven't slept in two years. ... I don't think anyone could stay awake that long without dying. Anyways, with a lack of sleep, I've noticed I tend to be testy for that day, whereas normally I'm pretty normal.

As a side note, I searched "how to spoof a xbox 360 controller", and I came across Xpadder. The problem is, it's pay-to-use now. Are there any other free spoofers similar to Xpadder, or is that Xbox-whatever it was (name's too long for me to remember, and if I'm being completely honest, I just skimmed the message) the only one? I would use motioninjoy, but I lent my best friend my PS3, so I have no extra controllers beyond my Logitech one to use.

GarlicJelly

See, the thing is, by suggestion something to me to "fix" it, you've technically gone off topic. That's why I wanted to lock the thread. I wasn't intending to be rude myself, but to be honest, over the internet, almost anything could be considered differently than intended. The part I was considering rude was the fact that essentially, you guys thought it was a quick fix, but the thing is, I'd rather not install anything that A) doesn't work with windows 10, because that's my OS, and b) I'm kinda leery of my antivirus considering the installer for said things that might not be W10 compatible as being viruses, and thus void the entire set up. I'm pretty sure if the program "hooks" into a process, it's considered malware by my antivirus. I'm using Ad-Aware, by the way. It's the only free antivirus that hasn't snook in extra stuff in the update, and then expecte me to pay, and MalwareBytes went Pay-only, with a 30 day trial. I basically want assurances that I'm not going to get a virus, and that it's not going to be picked up as a false positive. Those are a real pain to get an exclusion for.

Anyways, I apologize if I came across as rude, but I'm also operating on less sleep than I have in over 2 years. I mean, the last time I had this little amount of sleep was at least two years ago, not that I haven't slept in two years. ... I don't think anyone could stay awake that long without dying. Anyways, with a lack of sleep, I've noticed I tend to be testy for that day, whereas normally I'm pretty normal.

As a side note, I searched "how to spoof a xbox 360 controller", and I came across Xpadder. The problem is, it's pay-to-use now. Are there any other free spoofers similar to Xpadder, or is that Xbox-whatever it was (name's too long for me to remember, and if I'm being completely honest, I just skimmed the message) the only one? I would use motioninjoy, but I lent my best friend my PS3, so I have no extra controllers beyond my Logitech one to use.
Well, I can't tell you 100% that there are no viruses in any of the programs that could work as a temporary fix but my guess is that if there were a virus then nobody would use it so with that logic I would say that any popular way to emulate your controller as either another controller or as a keyboard should be fairly safe to use.

The link I sent before to the other thread should have a bunch of different suggestions from other people that have used them to play the game. :)

Martimus

Green Slime
I use xbox360ce, I have windows 10, and I use it with Secrets of Grindea. *shrug* But I promise I won't be offensive by trying to help again. :O

havefeith

Green Slime
Eh, Like I said, I merely made this thread to suggest full controller support, and then essentially abandon it. I wasn't really looking for suggestions to "fix" the problem, and I guess I should've taken in to account the fact that there are people who want to help. Speaking of, there's an issue with using an actual 360 controller that my little brother made me aware of. In the front-line version, pressing the "select" button crashes the game. I figure I should put up a new thread for that.