Thoughts On The New "Effects"

asdarms

Green Slime
The DevBlog has posted some gifs of some effects (flashbacks, time swap) and I have some thoughts about them. First off, I am aware that these are destined to change, and the reason I'm writing this is to maybe help with the decision process. My favorite part about this game is its aesthetic, everything in the game is made of pixels, no fancy special effects or rotating sprites. These new effects ruin the aesthetic for me, and it would be cool if they found a way to implement these effects in a more pixely format. Some suggestions could be a swirly white effect or something, sort of like this but swirly instead of a circle. If you keep the effects as seen in the DevBlog, that's perfectly fine, but maybe you could make them more pixely. I hope you take these thoughts into consideration before the next update. :)

EDIT: In reality, my main concern the flashback effect. The time swap one can probably stay as is. I like the sepia look of the flashbacks, but how they distort the background and are transparent is what would ruin the aesthetic.

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
no fancy special effects or rotating sprites.
Actually, while difficult to notice, the does actually have a lighting engine (as some of the images to make it work can be found in the game files) and when items drop they are rotated to do their treble backflip (or whatever random number of flips it generates) animation ;)

asdarms

Green Slime
Actually, while difficult to notice, the does actually have a lighting engine (as some of the images to make it work can be found in the game files) and when items drop they are rotated to do their treble backflip (or whatever random number of flips it generates) animation ;)
Hmm... I forgot about these (more just didn't notice them) but at least they're subtle and hard to spot.

CeliriaRose

Green Slime
I actually disagree. I love the time warp effect. sure it's not "pixely" but it looks great and really sells the idea that time is shifting. I would very much prefer that effect stay.