A boss / miniboss suggestion involving phase plates.

Own

So far phase plates only see use in battle during the Gundam encounter, and that's just launching yourself onto his shoulders. I love them so much I want them to be an active part of the battle. :)

RnVK5NN.png

So, here's the idea. You're dropped into a square-shaped battlefield with a bunch of closed / upsidedown phase plates scattered around it, possibly a junkyard for them. At the very top of it is a giant, lumbering enemy with slow, powerful attachs with a decent reach.

Primary attack: Taking a mighty swing in a circle around it when the player is near, throws the player far and stuns them if it connects.

Secondary attack: Slow, pounding steps towards the player when the player isn't near, followed by a fistpound to the ground. Causes a giant earth spike to jut up from the ground beneath the player, which hits if they don't move quick.

% HP attack (like Gigaslime spin): Gives the ground a powerful stomp, which causes all the phase plates on the battlefield to bounce up into the air, going in random directions. The player can be damaged by these plates if they land on them.

The phase plates, upon landing, turn over to reveal arrows. All plates but one point off towards the spikes surrounding the arena, which massively damage the player if they phase into them or insta-die from it? Only one plate points to another one, which is necessary for avoiding the next attack.

The enemy raises -both- arms into the air for a few seconds (giving the player time to quickly find the correct phase plate) and pounds the battlefield, causing the arena to quake and launching the player into the air, stunning them for massive damage. The only way to avoid this attack is to use the correct phase plate right before the enemy pounds the ground, rendering the player invincible in phaseform while traveling.

The enemy remains inactive for a short while following this attack, then stomps the ground as it did initially to flip the plates through the air once more, turning them over and removing their arrows. The battle continues until the next % HP activation for this attack.

______

Or, if you want an extremely simplified version of this, just have 4 phase plates in the corners that each point at each other for players to run to and phase whenever the enemy charges up his super attack. Seems a little easy, though.

Or, for a quicker fight instead of a slower one, you could use phaseplates to help the player manuver into a position to attack an incredibly fast enemy that only ever runs from the player and casts spells from a distance. That way if they quickly go to the right phase plate they can get near / behind the enemy and attack it while it's tossing a spell.

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Or, if you want an extremely simplified version of this, just have 4 phase plates in the corners that each point at each other for players to run to and phase whenever the enemy charges up his super attack. Seems a little easy, though.
Maybe the boss could be a giant boar or maybe a mechanical bull that charges towards the player so you use the phase plates to avoid getting hit and making the boss hit the walls?

Another cool idea for a phase plate fight that I would like to see is one where you have the mirrors and have to solve a puzzle while the boss is attacking you to jump around him and hit him in the back or hit some kind of orbs or switches in the corners of the room that can only be reached through the phase plates. Maybe the switches could slowly break down the arena you're fighting on so you have to hit the switches in the right order or you might remove a mirror or a phase plate that you need.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Very cool idea for using phase plates in combat! I like it a lot. We have no "open slots" of story boss encounters where this would make sense (I think) but as an optional boss I think it could work. Optional bosses can be a lot harder, too... :)

Own

We have no "open slots" of story boss encounters where this would make sense (I think) but as an optional boss I think it could work. Optional bosses can be a lot harder, too... :)

If you're going the route of optional bosses, you could make every flavor of elemental GigaSlime.

Ice Gigaslime makes the entire arena icy, drops icicles everywhere from the ceiling at random with every large bounce, can form a spike and lunge in any direction like small Ice Slimes can, fires off icicles while in spin mode.

Earth Gigaslime works with the phase plates as described earlier, but bounces up into the air and off the screen for it's super-attack, with a rapidly growing shadow crashing down for letting the player know when to run to use the phaseplate.

Fire Gigaslime leaves a flaming trail everywhere he goes, damaging instead of slowing. Can spit out a massive flamethrower that goes all the way across the screen in one direction - or when it's spin mode, it just stays in place and creates a gigantic circular flamethrower around the arena that the player has to run around to avoid until stationary spin mode is lost.

Lightning Gigaslime launches small air slimes around the arena like normal gigaslime does, but creates a damaging electrical line between itself and every smaller slime on the field, similar to the green crystal monsters. It could also generate evil versions of cloud buddy that slowly float towards the player at all times, zapping the player if they get too close to them. It's spin attack could be slower but magnetized, drawing all slimes and the player in towards it. Or just creating a damaging electrical field around itself, farther than the reach of the spikes.

Going this route, most of the animations are already done since they're essentially palette swaps of Green Gigaslime. But I dunno if you guys want a Gigaslime, Enraged Gigaslime and four elemental Gigaslimes to boot. :p

Last edited:

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Four Gigaslimes are too many. Either there should be a different enemy using their moves or one King Slime that can change elements during battle. Or this King Slime could be fought in a 4-phase battle, each time somewhere else and with element taking advantage of surroundings.

luckyb

Green Slime
Very cool idea for using phase plates in combat! I like it a lot. We have no "open slots" of story boss encounters where this would make sense (I think) but as an optional boss I think it could work. Optional bosses can be a lot harder, too... :)
Maybe for arcade? and for the story you could make a boss rush at the end :D

Four Gigaslimes are too many. Either there should be a different enemy using their moves or one King Slime that can change elements during battle. Or this King Slime could be fought in a 4-phase battle, each time somewhere else and with element taking advantage of surroundings.

Like the guardians in the first temple they have the protect thing the purple circle and the connecting phase.