Beta FAQ ~Ask your questions here~

Sugarspoon

Green Slime
If that is the case then you might have received a steam key!
Nope, nothing on Desura, I just bought it now though just because I am impatient. (oh and btw, it's silly to be able to buy the beta access for $15 but if you want the beta access hat you need to pay $20...even though I am in the beta access with the $15 version, doesn't make any sense :p Should be like a sponsor hat!

While I'm betatesting I might as well add that the signup for this when you have to "leave fields blank" that's just lazy :D
Hide them for users who shouldn't have access to them.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
While I'm betatesting I might as well add that the signup for this when you have to "leave fields blank" that's just lazy :D
Hide them for users who shouldn't have access to them.
Could you explain this a bit more? I made my account over a year ago so I don't remember the whole process. :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Everyone who helped us with testing got the game for free on Steam when we shifted platforms! It didn't matter where you had posted your feedback, or what it was (comment on our blog would've sufficed, even though we had a proper Desura forum for bug posting and impressions). We did this both as a sort of reward for those who had helped us, and also to ensure we'd keep the testers who had in interest in improving the game!

(oh and btw, it's silly to be able to buy the beta access for $15 but if you want the beta access hat you need to pay $20...even though I am in the beta access with the $15 version, doesn't make any sense :p Should be like a sponsor hat!

Haha, yeah, we'll probably rebrand it to something like a sponsor hat when we launch on Steam Early Access, since that's what it is!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Weird, I think those fields are honeypot fields which should indeed be hidden for normal users. I think those might've appeared when we upgraded the forum (and gained that amazing FaceTwitter-feed)

Sugarspoon

Green Slime
Mhm, found my post on the desura forum at least
(and oh my god, it was posted the 20th of june 2013 http://www.desura.com/games/secrets-of-grindea/forum/thread/a-beta-testers-rant )
Don't remember getting any steam key for it though (might have gotten lost in all the mail or ended up in some kinda promotion folder on gmail), but bought the $15 pack to get the steam key now at least. Gladly my character was still there too.

And yeah, those registration-fields should not be a problem to hide...but you use some kinda software for creating the forum...so wouldn't know, always make mine from scratch.

Own

Haha, yeah, we'll probably rebrand it to something like a sponsor hat when we launch on Steam Early Access, since that's what it is!

You guys probably wanna make the hat thing only available / listed when purchasing via the website's Humble widget. I guarantee you if people see $5 for a hat, a vocal minority will raise hell. :p Probably gripe about how they're not getting the 'complete game' because they don't want to pay $5 more.

I've seen developers endlessly raked over for smaller microtransactions.

Maybe you guys could offer an 'Upgrade To Sponsorship Tier' thing for $5, a Steam key that unlocks just the hat via Humble widget?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I'll toss you an extra Steam key to use at your leisure as you apparently didn't receive a key (or it otherwise got lost) for the post!

About selling the hat on Steam, we were thinking of naming the DLC something akin to "'Buy-Us-a-Coffee' Valkyrie Hat DLC" with a matching description, making it abundantly clear it's a vanity item for people wanting to chip in with some extra dough! Hopefully this will still the collective pitchfork somewhat.

OrsenX

Green Slime
When is the next story update? I've run into quite a few paths with little messages popping up about the area not being finished.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
When is the next story update? I've run into quite a few paths with little messages popping up about the area not being finished.

Next on our list is to flesh out Winterland, add Steam Achievements and Leaderboards (for Arcade Mode), add the final charge for all skills currently in the game and then we'll get back to main story implementation (a festival in Evergrind followed by Mount Bloom). The good news is that after that, development will mostly be about alternating between pushing Story Mode and Arcade Mode forward.

If you haven't already, I suggest you switch to the Frontline beta for a bit more Story content!

OrsenX

Green Slime
Thank you for the swift reply. I have indeed been using Frontline, I'm really impressed at the moment; I just hope it is fully completed one day.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Are we going to add a card minigame with Griddle? If so how much planning has been done for it? (I'm a really big fan of cards so if nothing's been thought of as of yet I'll pitch in with a few ideas :D)

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Are we going to add a card minigame with Griddle? If so how much planning has been done for it? (I'm a really big fan of cards so if nothing's been thought of as of yet I'll pitch in with a few ideas :D)
At some point we would like to add a card minigame for Griddle! Right now, we haven't thought too much about it, though :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
In that case, how complex were you thinking it be? Something small and easy to learn like Hearthstone or much more big and complex like the Pokémon card games? I mean, I don't wanna waste my breath writing a 2000 word lecture of a suggestion to have it not implemented because it's too much work :p

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
In that case, how complex were you thinking it be? Something small and easy to learn like Hearthstone or much more big and complex like the Pokémon card games? I mean, I don't wanna waste my breath writing a 2000 word lecture of a suggestion to have it not implemented because it's too much work :p
I really can't answer your question as we haven't even discussed the complexity level (or anything about the card game) yet :D

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I really can't answer your question as we haven't even discussed the complexity level (or anything about the card game) yet :D
Ah okay, I guess I'll just go wild and we can pick out the goods and the bads :D
Having a read through I completely forgot about the in-game cards and was gonna have a completely different set of cards for my idea... I'll see what I come out with :D