More Bows, More Properties, More Fun!

Bows
Bows have always been a fascination of mine. When I got a bow for the first time in SoG, I was quite excited, but after 300 tries at the mini-game and using it a bit, it was a let down.

Problems
The bow is a very basic weapon, and has some limitations that cannot be improved. What does the bow do? You press the button, and a streak flies out perfectly straight. The arrow has limited range and simply disappears if it doesn't hit anything. There is 1 bow, and 2 upgrades, a +damage hat and a arrow capacity item.

So what can be done?

Drawing
Why should the devs be the only ones allowed to draw in this game? Spamming arrows feels foreign and unrealistic to me, but if you had to draw the bow for some time, we could slow the rate of fire. In addition, draw-weight and distance can affect arrow speed, range, and damage, so you can still flop off a quick shot to interrupt an enemy attack, or do high powered sniping on unsuspecting enemies. The wooden bow we know and love should have a fairly quick draw-speed, for those afraid of waiting 5 seconds just to fire one shot.

Accuracy
A bow shouldn't fire so straight, although straight or not, all arrow shots should be tolerated and respected. A bit of random change in the angle of fire would give a nice touch, and limit the range of shots that don't end up as straight as you wanted.

Range
SoG bows do have a range. Actually, they have a lot of ranges, though we're talking about the distance you can shoot an arrow. Have you ever fired an arrow and had it hit the ground? Did it turn invisible? NO! They should drop at the end of their flight. But that feels like you can't waste arrows, and I know I'd spam them if there was no reason not to. They should have a chance of breaking, altered by the arrow's flight speed. Then, if you miss a shot, you can likely pick up that arrow, ready for another shot.

Different Bows
All we have is a simple wooden bow. I mean really, how original is that? We should have different kinds of bows, craftable, tradable, buyable, findable, what have you, with different properties. A larger bow made of a stiffer material should take longer to draw, but have increased speed/power/range. A smaller, more flexible bow would be weaker, but would have a much faster draw speed, and perhaps better mobility when aiming the bow. Magical and compound bows could break the stat trends, as well as add unique bow features, such as multishot or flaming arrows.

Conclusion
What is this, English class? But for completions sake, I'm adding this. Bows need to be improved, and though there are many ways this could be done, adding different bows with different properties seems to be the best way. Multiple kinds of arrows are terrible to control, and would add tons of mob drops. Gear to better bows could work, though it still leaves the bow as a very basic and limited weapon. Because of all that, Secrets of Grindea needs more kinds of bows.

I think they should always shoot straight. The fighting in Grindea focuses a lot on player mechanics (positioning and timing), throwing in randomly off target projectiles makes things muddy.

I think they should always shoot straight. The fighting in Grindea focuses a lot on player mechanics (positioning and timing), throwing in randomly off target projectiles makes things muddy.
You make a good point, but I feel it would look good to not have the exact same arrow streak going on the exact same path, and could be a point of balance for some bows. The least accurate bow would probably be no more than 5 degrees off at the most, so most of the time, it would be a visual effect and used to discourage long range shots on bows where they don't belong. If it seems like it'd be annoying, I feel like it should at least be tested by the devs (please<3), and maybe released to the beta testers to see what they think. I guess if the features are being tested to see if they're okay, they could add a temporary expansion to archery hut, where you can test out the new bows as long as you're in that room.

I feel like all my ideas would make a nice feature. Perhaps it wouldn't be perfect for Grindea, but it'd be a good feature to test. If it doesn't work for Grindea, it may be good for one of their future games! :D

Own

Apparently they don't want to add in different bows and different arrows to avoid having to devote too much time to the bow and arrow, it's supposed to be like a bonus item in the Zelda games. Not necessary, but somewhat handy.

Instead of 'More Bows', I'm happy with just unlocking upgrades for your current bow. You already get +5 quiver size, I reckon you could unlock a +bow crit, +bow damage or +bow strikethrough for completing various minigames. Though more +quiver size is cool too.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
We've had a lot of bow discussions before. If you haven't read them already then maybe you can find these interesting. :p

http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/charge-attack-on-bow.634/#post-3924
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/arrow-types-and-effects.738/#post-4376
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/bow-as-a-primary-weapon.774/#post-4589
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/making-the-bow-a-primary-weapon.131/#post-4421

Also this is what Teddy said in the last link where we talked about the bow as Primary Weapon:
"This is an impressive write-up, but it pains me to simply say that making the bow a primary weapon is very unlikely. We used to have a bow as a primary weapon (with skills and all), and it simply either ruined everything else by being so strong that it was silly to play with anything else, or it had to be nerfed so much (because range is very, very strong) that even players that liked bows didn't find it satisfying. The way it works now the bow serves a purpose, whether it's for quick spam damage like some use it for, or assassination like other use it for.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm not even considering this. We have considered it a lot, and there have been much discussion about it in the old beta forums. But at the end of the day, the game became better when we turned the bow into a secondary weapon, and while perhaps a primary bow could have a place in our game it would take so much work to fine tune it we'd rather put into creating new content. :("

Happy reading. :D

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just wish I could mash on my keyboard faster. Maybe I should get a controller or hook up a wiimote.
One more thing, I've noticed the bow can strike multiple enemies if they're close together. Bug or feature?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just wish I could mash on my keyboard faster. Maybe I should get a controller or hook up a wiimote.
One more thing, I've noticed the bow can strike multiple enemies if they're close together. Bug or feature?
I think it's a feature. It gives you more options for when to use the bow I guess since it could be more worth to line the enemies up so that you hit two with the same arrow to kind of counter the low count of arrows in your inventory. Even if it is a bug I still see it as a feature that adds more diversity to the different usages for the bow. Sometimes it's better to just spam all arrows at once and sometimes it's better to just line up your shots and fire 1-2 arrows. I don't actually use the bow very much but I've found it quite useful for the Jumpkin Forest themed part of the first Arena challange.

Last edited: